Select to view content in your preferred language

Code in field calculator does not 'refresh'

09-16-2022 02:25 AM
AndersKMG
New Contributor

Hello. I have a python code in the ArcMap field calculator that translates numbers in the Id-column  to text in another column in the same attribute table. In the pre-logic-script It looks like this:

def reclass(Id):
    if (Id == 0):
        return "AAA"
    if (Id == 1):
        return "BBB"
    if (Id == 2):
        return "CCC"
    if (Id == 3):
        return "DDD"
    if (Id == 4):
        return "EEE"
    if (Id == 5):
        return "FFF"
    if (Id == 6):
        return "GGG"
    else:
        return "<Null>"

and in the other box:

reclass(!Id!)

The problem is that this code disapears every time I shut down arcMap, and have to be re-loaded when I add anything. For example if I add an object with id-class 2 it doesn't automatically writes CCC in the new column iuntill I have re-runed the script.

Is there some way I can automatically run this script as soon as I open / change anything the attribute table? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

For ArcMap, there's the Attribute Assistant.

For ArcGIS Pro, there are Attribute Rules.

Have a great day!
Johannes
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Attribute Rules in ArcGIS Pro is the best solution here. I will add that you can write a Python script that to perform the calculate field operation on your data and schedule it to run as a task. So every night, or even every hour, the script could run to calculate the values.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Two tips for you: using "<Null>" will enter it as a string and not a true Null.

You can avoid chaining if statements by using a switch case (dictionary lookup) construct.

def reclass(Id):
    classDict = {
        0: "AAA",
        1: "BBB",
        2: "CCC",
        3: "DDD",
        4: "EEE",
        5: "FFF",
        6: "GGG"}

return classDict.get(Id) # <- returns the value if found in the dictionary or the default true Null

#return classDict.get(Id, '<Null>') # <- returns the value if found in the dictionary or the string <Null> as the default

0 Kudos