Backup.py fails when executed remotely

03-12-2021 06:57 AM
jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

I use a task on a remote server to regularly backup our ArcGIS Server site (stand alone). I use PsExec (newest version) to remotely execute it. Since a short time it stopped working with the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\admin\Backup.py", line 202, in <module>
sys.exit(backup())
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\admin\Backup.py", line 75, in backup
token = getToken(serverName, serverPort, protocol, tokenURL, username, password)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\admin\Backup.py", line 166, in getToken
params = urllib.urlencode({'username': username.decode(sys.stdin.encoding).encode('utf-8'), 'password': password.decode(sys.stdin.encoding).encode('utf-8'),'client': 'referer','referer':'backuputility','f': 'json'})
TypeError: decode() argument 1 must be string, not None

So Python does not get the encoding string sys.stdin.encoding anymore.

When I start the script on the ArcGIS machine, it runs fine.

I am not sure when this stopped working, there haven't been changes on the server except Windows updates and updates of mapservices.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any mismatch of python versions/ environments between the two environments?  What python version are you using?

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

Hi Jeff,

On the remote server Python is not installed. Both environments are Windows Server 2019.

Python 2.7.14 is installed, the version that comes with ArcGIS 10.6.1.

0 Kudos
shapirot
New Contributor III

Did you find a solution to this?  I get the same error, but am actually running the script on the ArcGIS machine, not remote

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel

Hi,

As far as I can remember, it just started working again after some time, without me doing anything in particular. I'm sorry I cannot help you with any more info.

0 Kudos