ArcPy

Jump to solution
06-24-2015 06:45 AM
RusselKlueg
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I've got an arcpy question for you. I'm still new to python as well but I think i have a decent handle on it. But i'm not sure why this script isn't working. It's pretty basic but I keep getting an error. Can someone point out the issue for me? I'd really appreciate it.

import arcpy

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\Infrastructure\HSIP_Gold_2015_Infrastructure2.mxd')

layers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd)

for lyr in layers:

arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(lyr, "WITHIN_A_DISTANCE", r"C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Illinois", "50 Miles", "NEW_SELECTION")

arcpy.FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion(lyr, r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\IL_Infrastructure2015', lyr+'.shp')

And the error i'm receiving

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\Users\JOC-001\Desktop\ArcGIS.py", line 7, in <module>

arcpy.SelectLayerByLocation_management(lyr, "WITHIN_A_DISTANCE", r"C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\Illinois", "50 Miles", "NEW_SELECTION")

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\management.py", line 6812, in SelectLayerByLocation

raise e

ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.

ERROR 000840: The value is not a Feature Layer.

ERROR 000840: The value is not a Raster Catalog Layer.

ERROR 000840: The value is not a Mosaic Layer.

Failed to execute (SelectLayerByLocation).

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RusselKlueg
New Contributor III

Ok i fixed that but i'm still getting the error due to the files being in groups. I like Xander Bakker​ pointed out.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Try using "print lyr.name" under "for lyr in layers:" to see if you are getting any done.

RusselKlueg
New Contributor III

Agriculture\Animal Aquaculture Facilities

Runtime error  Traceback (most recent call last):   File "<string>", line 10, in <module>   File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy\arcpy\conversion.py", line 1675, in FeatureClassToFeatureClass     raise e ExecuteError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. Failed to execute (FeatureClassToFeatureClass).  

This is what printing before the operation gives me. I think it has to do with how the layer A) has the group name attached. I'll need to parse that out. B) has spaces in the name, I'll need to parse that out as well i think.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
if lyr.isGroupLayer:
     pass
else:
     print lyr.name
    RusselKlueg
    New Contributor III

i had to tweak it just a little for the output to work on mine... but you sir are a wizard

0 Kudos
    XanderBakker
    Esri Esteemed Contributor

"Agriculture\Animal Aquaculture Facilities" is not a valid output name. The name combines the grouplayer name and the name of the layer,

You could use this:

import arcpy
    import os
    mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\Infrastructure\HSIP_Gold_2015_Infrastructure2.mxd')

layers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd)

for lyr in layers:
        if lyr.isFeatureLayer:
            out_name = "{0}.shp".format(os.path.split(lyr)[-1])
            print out_name
            arcpy.FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion(lyr, r'C:\Users\JOC-001\Documents\GIS\HSIP\IL_Infrastructure2015', out_name)

Most important is to know that the name of the layer might not be valid as a file name.

RusselKlueg
    New Contributor III

You and Wes Miller​ were on the same track. I knew that was the issue after adding the print statement but I didnt know that arcpy had an inherent option for dealing with it! You guys are great! Thank you so much!

RusselKlueg
    New Contributor III

I want to thank everyone who helped me! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me solve this!!