ArcPy vs ArcGIS Python API for uploading data to local ArcGIS Server?

Jump to solution
01-24-2018 12:32 PM
MatthewSanders1
New Contributor III

I am tasked with integrating information from a different data collection system into a client's existing ArcGIS Server (local server running version 10.2). Eventually, I will rewrite the data collection system to directly use the ArcGIS Server as a backend, but for now I am writing a Python script that will run every night and sync the data to the ArcGIS Server.

I'm a bit stuck on the difference between using ArcPy or the ArcGIS Python API tool available from Esri. Which one is better suited for my task at hand?

Thanks!

Sanders

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MatthewSanders1
New Contributor III

That sounds like how they currently have it set up. Before adding to their database, do I need to stop the MapService then start it back once the data transfer is done? Or is that unnecessary?

Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

As long as you use a method that doesn't affect the schema of the data, (update fields, add domains/subtypes, etc), there's no need to stop and start the service after updating the data.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Matthew,

You didn't indicate whether you had trolled through the API Reference for the ArcGIS API for Python 

As Jonathan indicated, if it isn't there, you will have to examine your Arctoolbox Tool useage