Select to view content in your preferred language

arcpy.CreateGraph_management - display?

08-01-2014 01:03 PM
JayLaura
Deactivated User

Via a Python toolbox I am calling arcpy.CreateGraph_management('default.tee', graphobj, 'temp'), where graphobj is a graph object created using the arcpy.Graph() class.

When I execute my tool, the create graph call is made without error, but a graph is never displayed.  Additionally, the graph does not appear in the Graph Manager.  Oddly, when I start to type the CreateGraph command into the command prompt, I see that 'temp' is available as a '.grf' file to fulfill the first argument.

The CreateGraph documentation suggests that the graph needs to be added to the 'host application', but does not provide any guidance.  How can a PythonToolbox create a graph and then display it?

Tags (2)
11 Replies
JayLaura
Deactivated User

Dan,

This is running via a Python Toolbox in an instance of ArcMap.  So, ArcMap is open.  The existing graph, as per the documentation, can be an arcpy.Graph() object, which it is.  When running MakeGraph_management as a stand alone tool, via the Data Management toolbox, a new graph window is render.  When running the same tool within a PythonToolBox, a window is not rendered.  Given this, I am not seeing the expected behavior.

I concur with all the answers that suggest that ArcMap is the host application.  The issue is that, via a Python Toolbox, MakeGraph_management is NOT opening a graph window.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior in a running ArcMap instance using a PythonToolBox.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
SteveBoyton
Deactivated User

I've been having the same issue.  This is what worked for me to add the graph to display...

arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap = True

arcpy.MakeGraph_management(graph_grf, graph, outgraphname)

arcpy.env.addOutputsToMap = False

0 Kudos