ARC 10.0 CADToGeodatabase() syntax to write to existing FC in existing group dataset

01-24-2013 04:08 AM
RobinPearce
New Contributor
I want to write geometry data (polylines,polygons,polygons with holes) from a dgn CADfile to a specific Featureclass under a specific group dataset (group layer). The FGDB is an empty template, I don't want to create a new table, just add new records to existing FC.

The ESRI example Python code does not show how to include the group dataset name. I have tried adding the dataset name at the end of the output gdb path with included backslash, and tried prefixing the output featureclass name with dataset name plus backslash. Errors, doesn't recognise the input parameters.

I can read the dgn just fine and create a new FC, but it is placed directly under the FGDB and that is not what I am looking for. How do you add data from a dgn into a an existing template exactly where you want it?

If CADToGeodatabase() is the wrong tool, then can I read geometries one by one from a dgn, then use something like InsertCursor to populate my empty FGDB? (InsertCursor at least allows locating the right level on the FSGB structure).

What Python code do I need to make something work?

Thanks,
Rob Pearce,
Gardline Geosurvey
Gt Yarmouth, England
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisFox3
Occasional Contributor III
CAD to Geodatabase is not the right tool for this scenario, it will always create new output. Try the Append tool instead.
0 Kudos
KarenHodge
Esri Contributor
Yes, Chris is right.  The key thing to remember about working with CAD is that you're actually working with a feature dataset and feature classes.  You can use the CAD feature class as input to many geoprocessing tools, including Append, without needing to use CADToGeodatabase.

--Karen
0 Kudos