Any Good Python Books

08-19-2014 02:02 PM
NettoChad
New Contributor III

Hey GeoNet community! I'm looking for a good book on Python. I recently finished, "Python Scripting for ArcGIS" by Zandbergen and really enjoyed it. Does anyone out there have any other good recommendations? I've been finding myself using Arcpy less then 50% of the time in my code, so it doesn't necessarily have to be specific to Python and ArcPy.

Thank you

Tags (3)
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have used, and recommended to my students, any book published by O'Reilly This web link is for python focussed books..  Beyond that, books are personal and a single book won't suit all purposes or all people.

NettoChad
New Contributor III

Thank you. There are so many books out there, I just hoping to get a few suggestions from people who are interested in GIS.

I like how the site breaks the books down into user level categories.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

In the O'Reilly site.. Lutz Learning Python is great, all 1160 pages...it covers version 2.x and 3.x.  I have the 4th edition but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a new one out there.  I paid $70 Canadian a couple of years ago.

OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

Totally agree with Dan. The Mark Lutz Learning Python (4th edition) has been my primary python reference for some time.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

the 5th edition was released in june 2013:

Learning Python, 5th Edition

0 Kudos
충만__Choong-man_Oh_오
New Contributor II

Python scripting for ArcGIS , one of the Esri publications, is also a good source.

I couldn't have a chance to look through it, but the lectures of the author, Prof. Paul. Z, was well-organized and kind of straightward so that easy and clear to understand, I say. Hopely, the book might be so.

NaimeCelik
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I can also suggest Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cook Book  from Eric Pimpler

NettoChad
New Contributor III

Thank you all for the suggestions, I picked up,"Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cook Book" and "Learning Python, 5th Edition"

0 Kudos
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor

"Python  - From Novice to Professional" is my all times favourite ...

0 Kudos