Alter Field GP Tool on Spatial Views in Python Not Working

08-26-2014 11:02 PM
ShaunWeston1
New Contributor III

I'm having an issue with the "Aleter Field" gp tool in python. I find that it works fine when running the tool from Desktop or in a model, but as soon as I run it from python, it doesn't work and resets all my alias field back to the field names. This only occurs for spatial views I setup, works fine on feature classes.

Steps to reproduce

- Setup a spatial view.

- Setup a few field aliases in ArcGIS Desktop for the spatial view.

- Run the "Alter Field" gp tool from python on one field e.g. arcpy.AlterField_management(spatialView, "PERMIT_NUMBER", "", "Permit Number")

- Navigate to the spatial view in ArcGIS Desktop and notice that all the field aliases have been reset to the field names.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NateArnold
Occasional Contributor

A bit late, but I don't believe AlterField_management supports views - the input parameter is a Table View.  The input parameter for MakeTableView_management (which would go into AlterField_management) is a table or feature class - view is not specified. 

Did you contact Support with this issue?  I'd be curious to hear if they had a workaround - it seems reasonable that since the alias of a field in a registered spatial view can be altered in ArcCatalog GUI, then it ought to be possible with GP (if not then it should be!).

0 Kudos