Accessing custom toolbar using arcpy in python

02-05-2015 04:24 PM
NicholasPovak1
New Contributor

Hello community! I am using a tool developed by the US Forest Service (Build LCP) using their custom toolbar (LANDFIRE Data Access Tool, you can Google it). The tool takes as inputs several rasters and converts them into a different format (.LCP) used in fire simulation models. I would like to incorporate this tool in a python script, but I don't know how to access the tool. It is NOT in a toolbox, it is a custom toolbar tool. There is a dll associated with the tool. I've tried using the ctypes module to load and run the dll directly, but to no avail. I also tried converting the dll into an arctool, but that did not work either.

Any help on figuring out how to incorporate this custom tool into a python script would be amazing...

I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 (I could upgrade to 10.2.2 if need be) with an ArcInfo license.

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BlaineHansel2
New Contributor

I had same question and contacted ERSI Customer Support.

Per ESRI Customer Support: "Unfortunately there is no way to access the tool from a toolbar in a python script, only geoprocessing tools can be accessed." You could look into arc objects depending on what you are attempting to do.

0 Kudos
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III

I just downloaded the tools and it appears to come with an installer that registers the toolbar with the various commands, tools, etc. To use this tool in python you'd need access to the source code of the tools so that you could wrap their logic as functions that you could either leverage in a variety of ways.

Have you tried contacting the US Forest Service to determine if they'd be willing to expose the source code for this toolbar?