arcpy local documentation should match arcpy web documentation

01-21-2022 12:51 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

arcpy local documentation should match arcpy web documentation.

For example, the ExtractValuesToPoints signature and docstring show me:

def ExtractValuesToPoints(
        in_point_features,
        in_raster,
        out_point_features,
        interpolate_values="#",
        add_attributes="#"):
    """ExtractValuesToPoints_sa(in_point_features, in_raster, out_point_features, {interpolate_values}, {add_attributes})

Extracts the cell values of a raster based on a set of point features and records the values in the attribute table of an output feature class.

Arguments:
    in_point_features -- The input point features defining the locations from which you want to extract the raster cell values.
    in_raster -- The raster dataset whose values will be extracted.
    out_point_features -- The output point feature dataset containing the extracted raster values.
    interpolate_values -- Specifies whether interpolation will be used.
    add_attributes -- Determines if the raster attributes are written to the output point feature dataset."""

The add_attributes argument doesn't tell me what values I can use.

For that I have to go to the web documentation:

"""
add_attributes
(Optional)
Determines if the raster attributes are written to the output point feature dataset.

VALUE_ONLY—Only the value of the input raster is added to the point attributes. This is the default.
ALL—All the fields from the input raster (except Count) will be added to the point attributes.
Boolean
"""

This adds multiple extra steps every time you look up a signature. It'd be nice if they were aligned so I don't have to constantly leave my IDE.

Please let me know if I missed something obvious.

6 Comments
DanPatterson

I can't remember from the last beta, but does the locally installed version have this tab

z.png

if memory serves there may not be both for reasons I can't remember

by Anonymous User

@DanPatterson When I click on the help button from the GUI toolbox, it just sends me to the website. I'm not sure where to find these tabs locally.

Should have been more explicit here - I'm referring to the docstrings within arcpy itself. When I look at them, they often describe what the arguments do, but do not list the valid inputs like the web docs do (like the example above). In some cases the arcpy docstrings use different language entirely which can also be confusing.

The ArcMap arcpy documentation also had some gaps, but was much more complete than what I'm seeing in Pro.

by Anonymous User

docstring.jpgweb.JPG

Here's a screen grab showing the difference between arcpy docstrings and the web docs. From within arcpy, I cannot see the add_attributes values "VALUE_ONLY" and "ALL".

by Anonymous User

extract_values_to_points.PNG

In ArcGIS 3.0, this documentation has actually gotten worse. Here's a screenshot of the same function from 3.0. Now there is even less information than before. 

The module header docstring states that the module is autogenerated... maybe this is just an oversight?

ShaunWalbridge
Status changed to: In Product Plan

HannesZiegler
Status changed to: Implemented

Syntax and usage documentation now shows for spatial analyst functions.  

Take a look at the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2. Also see the Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video posted to the Esri Community blog.