Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to remove non-functioning service from ArcGIS Server Manager

Jump to solution
04-13-2022 05:33 PM
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

I tried publishing a service definition to my server, but the service would not start after it was published. I changed two things: 
1. Shortened the name of the service
2. Removed a dash from inside the string describing the service

I was then able to publish the service, and start it without any problems. 

BUT, I have a couple of vestigial services from the failed attempts to publish the SD still listed in my ArcGIS Server Manager interface. If I try to delete them, it just shows a progress bar that grinds away until my Server Manager session times out. 

I looked through the server directories, and the vestigial services are not listed. It's like the services don't *actually* exist, but there's a ghost of them still displayed in the UI. Is there any way to get rid of them? They don't seem to be doing any harm, but they're cluttering the list of services. 

Here's a screen shot of the list of services, showing the vestigial items. I can neither start the services, nor delete them.

Heidi_Kristenson_0-1648499733259.png

This is what I get when I try to delete one of the two bad services:

Heidi_Kristenson_1-1648500292607.png

When I look in the directory itself where the other services are listed, these two don't appear; the only matching items are the services that are running: 

(base) arcgis@ip:/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgissystem/arcgisinput/ASF_SampleData$ ls
ShovelCreek_20190614_gpf_VV.ImageServer
ShovelCreek_20190626_gpf_VV.ImageServer
ShovelCreek_20190708_gpf_VV.ImageServer

Is there a different place I can go to find unstarted services and delete them there? 

I tried restarting the server, but it didn't make any difference. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

I opened a support case, and it turns out that there was another location where files needed to be deleted. 

In order to get rid of these services, I used a command line interface to delete the bad files from the following locations: 

/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgisoutput/service_directory
/arcgis/server/usr/config-store/services/service_directory

In some cases, it may also be necessary to remove it from here, as well:

/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgissystem/arcgisinput/service_directory

Once they were removed from these directories, I restarted the server, and the listings for the non-functioning services were gone. 

Thanks to @ABishop for the lead on the first directory, and  Robel from Esri Support Services for the final piece of the puzzle. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Heidi,

I believe you have to delete the service from the actual server machine.  Here is a technical support article I found:  https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000021607 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that helpful link @ABishop.

I had been looking in the arcgissystem/arcgisinput directory rather than the arcgisoutput directory. I found the problematic services listed in the arcgisoutput directory and deleted them there, but they still show up in my Server Manager. I've restarted the server several times, but it doesn't make a difference. I still cannot delete them via the Server Manager, either.

I wonder if there's another place in the directory structure where they lurk. 

For reference, the server is on an AWS EC2 instance running Ubuntu 18.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

ummm ya AWS EC2 is a whole other animal!  I would get ESRI support involved.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Heidi_Kristenson
Occasional Contributor

I opened a support case, and it turns out that there was another location where files needed to be deleted. 

In order to get rid of these services, I used a command line interface to delete the bad files from the following locations: 

/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgisoutput/service_directory
/arcgis/server/usr/config-store/services/service_directory

In some cases, it may also be necessary to remove it from here, as well:

/arcgis/server/usr/directories/arcgissystem/arcgisinput/service_directory

Once they were removed from these directories, I restarted the server, and the listings for the non-functioning services were gone. 

Thanks to @ABishop for the lead on the first directory, and  Robel from Esri Support Services for the final piece of the puzzle. 

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

@Heidi_Kristenson You are so very welcome!  I am glad you got it figured out!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos