Trouble publishing service from ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
04-05-2023 08:14 AM
ToddFagin
Occasional Contributor II

I am wanting to publish a map service to  ArcGIS Server. This should be straightforward and easy, but I am encountering some issues. I am assuming the answer is as simple as "well, now that this is a federated server, this is no longer an option, too bad for you."

In ArcGIS Pro, I have established a connection to the server, but when I write-click on it in Catalog, Publish is not an option.

According to this article, “[t]he Publish command is only available on ArcGIS Server connections to stand-alone servers with privileges to publish services.”

This shouldn't be a problem because I am an administrator.

Further, the article states, "[i]f the Publish command doesn't appear on the server context menu, click Properties. On the ArcGIS Server Connection Properties dialog box, make sure Type is set to Publisher Connection or Administrator Connection. You must have permission to publish services; if necessary, provide an appropriate username and password."

However, if I write click, I am unable to make this change:

ToddFagin_0-1680706837689.png

Interestingly, though, I have an old ArcGIS Pro project in which I have a server connection that has the Publish option. However, when I right click and select Publish, I get the following:

ToddFagin_1-1680706894637.png

I decided to check my status in Server--as noted, I should be an admin. In server, I receive the following:

ToddFagin_2-1680706976328.png

So, I log into the portal, and sure enough, I am an Administrator:

ToddFagin_3-1680707075915.png

Of course, I can publish to the Portal, but when it does this, it puts the service in the Root of the server rather than in the nice, tidy folders I long-ago created (and moving them seems to be a big hassle). Also, it will not let me override an old service that was created before federation, I have to completely recreate it.

So, is this a "too bad for you" situation, or is there a work-around with a federated server?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When ArcGIS Server is federated with the Enterprise Portal, it's no longer considered a "stand-alone" system and attempting to publish using the workflow above will fail. To publish a map service to a federated Enterprise system you need to make sure you are signed into your Enterprise Portal within ArcGIS Pro (check the upper-right corner) then use one of the following methods:

• Right-click on the layer in your map table of contents, go down to the Sharing section of the menu, and choose the option "Share as a web layer"
  • From the top ribbon, go to the Share tab, and select "Share web map"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

When ArcGIS Server is federated with the Enterprise Portal, it's no longer considered a "stand-alone" system and attempting to publish using the workflow above will fail. To publish a map service to a federated Enterprise system you need to make sure you are signed into your Enterprise Portal within ArcGIS Pro (check the upper-right corner) then use one of the following methods:

• Right-click on the layer in your map table of contents, go down to the Sharing section of the menu, and choose the option "Share as a web layer"
  • From the top ribbon, go to the Share tab, and select "Share web map"
ToddFagin
Occasional Contributor II

This is as I suspected.

While I am not adverse to change (especially in software, which is to be expected), it is a bit of a disappointment because I have been managing these resources for much longer than the ability to publish to a portal with ArcGIS Pro has been available. At the end of the day, though, I can accomplish what needs to be accomplished, so there's that.

MaddenBremer2
New Contributor

Is it possible to overwrite an existing map service from Pro using the two methods above if the original was published via ArcMap?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to add one quick note that what @ReeseFacendini (thanks Reese) added.

In the sharing UI, that will be brought up when you choose 'Share as a web layer', choose Map Image Layer option under Reference registered data section.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/map-image-layer.htm

0 Kudos