Map service tile cache compatibility from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 01:41 PM
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

I'm wondering if there is tile cache compatibility from an ArcMap published map service to an ArcGIS Pro published map service. 

For example, let's say I were to overwrite a cached map service originally published from ArcMap 10.7.1 with the same cached map service published from ArcGIS Pro 2.8, where I keep the existing tile cache.  Should I expect this to work seamlessly?  Or does the tile cache have to be recreated in order to be recognized by the  ArcGIS Pro published map service?  BTW, I am using ArcGIS Server 10.7.1, Windows, stand-alone.

I did a couple tests of this scenario to see what would happen - the existing tile cache was not recognized.  

But I'd like to get input from anyone else who has had experience with this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPy
New Contributor III

We overwrote our arcmap cached services and it created its own cache folders. We corrected them by going to the services on AGS manager and updating the cache settings.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisPy
New Contributor III

Did you try going to your ArcGIS server manager and try update the service cache settings to point to the directory of your cache bundle files? We did also migrate arcmap cache services to pro and had to do this step.

0 Kudos
LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  My tile cache is currently located where the ArcGIS Server manager directory is pointing...I did a map service overwrite from Pro, so nothing required a move.  

Did you overwrite your existing cached map services or did you publish new ones?

0 Kudos
ChrisPy
New Contributor III

We overwrote our arcmap cached services and it created its own cache folders. We corrected them by going to the services on AGS manager and updating the cache settings.

LeeBrannon1
Occasional Contributor

Hi ChrisPy,

Glad to know the overwrite method worked for you.  Because of your success, I made another attempt using the overwrite option to update an ArcMap published cached map service to an ArcGIS Pro published cached map service.  It worked!  A Web AppBuilder application is definitely using the tile cache from that service!  And I did not need to make any adjustments to the cache settings in AGS Manager because doing the overwrite kept all the cache folders as they were.

There is a little confusion about the presence of tiles when checking the tile cache status from AGS Manager - it says 0% of tiles present.  But checking the browser console when viewing the application proved otherwise.

0 Kudos