Select to view content in your preferred language

Incorrect Editor Tracking for feature services in same shared instance

02-15-2022 01:58 AM
GarethBaker1
Frequent Contributor

We have ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 and SQL Server 2017 enterprise geodatabase. There are several feature services published to the hosting server multi-machine site which are used by different sets of editors around the business. These aren't high traffic services so in order to save on server resources the services were set to use the shared instance pool (available if the service is published from Pro).

Editing is being carried out using either the Smart Editor widget in WAB app or via the Field Maps app.  Access to maps and layers is being controlled by Portal groups and none of the content items are shared more widely than groups.

A user of one of the editable layers has noticed odd values appearing in the last edited column of the tracking data - in some cases their name is recorded against features that they know they have not edited and in a small number of cases the name of someone from outside their team has been recorded, despite that person not having access to the layer or map via Portal sharing. From what we can tell it appears that the attribute and/or geometry edits against that particular record are correct, just that the wrong name has gone into the last edited user field.

In one of the cases we can see that the user from outside the team was submitting a record in their own project in Field Maps at the same time (at least to the minute), but that's not always the case.

The only thing we can think of that is linking these users together is that they are all editing feature services that are running as shared instances on the same ArcGIS Server site. So we were wondering if there is some sort of cacheing or mix up of user names going on within the shared instance.

We've now set the feature service that was getting the incorrect tracking to be a dedicated instance and after 24 hours there don't appear to be any rogue editor names from outside the team. It may just be that the exact circumstances which caused the problem have not arisen again and there is no guarantee that the names it has recorded are necessarily correct (unless we specifically ask users to check after each edit).

Has anyone else ever experienced this issue when working with shared instances? There is nothing that I can see in the documentation which says they can't or shouldn't be used for feature access/editing but I think for the time being we will stick to dedicated instances for any editable services.

14 Replies
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

We're not using Archiving, but the data is non-versioned. I too have a ticket opened and will keep you posted. However, I'd keep pushing on them.

0 Kudos
NeilMYoung
Emerging Contributor

We are observing this behavior on feature layers using non-versioned, archive enabled datasets. It looks like based on the response from @ScotWallace we may have to wait until we get upgraded internally to Enterprise 11.0 for this issue to be resolved.

ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

that's such a big lift...

0 Kudos
QuantitativeFuturist
Frequent Contributor

@ScotWallace Thanks for this Scot - we ran in to the exact same issue, although 11.0 is not a version we would consider updating to, we are looking at 11.1 as our next update but it seems like it has some serious issues too. Ridiculous that this was not fixed as a patch and there is no safe path to upgrade to fix this issue in the near term.

0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Honored Contributor

@QuantitativeFuturist @NeilMYoung @GarethBaker1 

I apologize for not updating the thread with our support results from Esri:

BUG-000153622 : When editing a non-hosted feature service from a SQL database with editor tracking enabled, the last edited date field remains unchanged when the Rollback on Failure option is set to False

0 Kudos