Editing a join table published by a feature service

01-20-2011 08:54 AM
nilgundag
New Contributor
I have joined two tables (selected TableA and joined TableB to it) in ArcMap. Then I publish my .mxd file enabling both Mapping and Feature Access.
Now, when I view TableA in MapServer, fields of both tables are listed:
i.e.
Fields:
db1.DBO.TableA.OBJECTID (Type: esriFieldTypeOID, Alias: OBJECTID)
db1.DBO.TableA.Field1 (Type: esriFieldTypeString, Alias: Field1, Length: 254 )
db1.DBO.TableA.Field2 (Type: esriFieldTypeString, Alias: Field2, Length: 254 )
db1.DBO.TableB.OBJECTID (Type: esriFieldTypeInteger, Alias: OBJECTID)
db1.DBO.TableB.Field1 (Type: esriFieldTypeString, Alias: Field1, Length: 254 )
db1.DBO.TableB.Field2 (Type: esriFieldTypeString, Alias: Field2, Length: 254 )

But in FeatureServer, only an objectID field is shown:
i.e.
Fields:
OBJECTID (Type: esriFieldTypeOID, Alias: OBJECTID, Editable: False)

Is there a way to edit this table (TableA) using FeatureServer or otherwise how can I be able to edit/delete records in a join table?

Thanks in advance.
nilgun
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
Hello,
Did you ever figure this out? I am trying to do the same thing and am getting the same problem.
0 Kudos
PatrickWard1
New Contributor II
The issue you are experiencing is a know software defect logged as NIM062309: When a Feature Service's source map document contains a layer that participates in an ArcMap table join, that layer's attribute fields will not be listed when viewing that layer's properties in ArcGIS Services Directory. However, this bug was rejected by development as designed due to the fact that joins are not supported. The correct workflow is to use a geodatabase relationship class where you query related records has been provided with feature services to support this case. You will need to make sure that the table and the feature class in the relationship are in the map when they publish.

An enhancement request has also been logged as NIM069615: Request to allow the viewing and/or editing of attributes in a Feature Service that are from an ArcMap table join in the source map document. If you would like to have your customer number added to this enhancement request please contact Esri Support Services at 1-888-377-4575.
0 Kudos