Are Composite Callouts possible on ArcGIS Server? MapLex on ArcGIS Server?

Jump to solution
01-28-2022 02:51 AM
janjermei
New Contributor III

Dear all,

In ArcGIS Pro I can create a map that uses MapLex labeling to create Composite Callouts with leader lines that have a symbol (see file attached).

According to https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/supported-functionality-in-m... MapLex labeling is supported on ArcGIS Server: 

The Standard Label Engine is available, as well as annotation. The Maplex Label Engine is available but is recommended for cached maps only.

But when I publish my map from ArcGIS Pro as a Web Layer, the result is an unsupported layer in the resulting service.

In the past it was possible to publish using MapLex labeling from ArcMap. There was a warning, but you could proceed.

Is there more information on this issue? Why doesn't it work? Is it foreseen in the future?

Many thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@janjermei 

I checked with our labeling team and they confirmed that you'd need to upgrade to 10.8.1 or higher. The composite callout was added in Pro 2.6 which is equivalent to server 10.8.1

hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
janjermei
New Contributor III

@Tanu1 

Many thanks, in a few weeks we will have a 10.9.x available and then we will check this solution.

Best regards

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@janjermei 

it should be supported in a map service (aka map image layer)
are you publishing to arcgis online or to an on-premises portal? And what is the service type (or web layer type) you chose during publishing?

0 Kudos
janjermei
New Contributor III

@TanuHoque 

Many thanks for you response.

The unsupported layer happened when I was using MapLex and more than one Label Class, based on attribute filtering.

When I use MapLex and a single Label Class, I get the following result in the Map Service: the labels are being placed dynamically and they are moving with each pan action on the map (which is as expected), but there are no leader lines nor symbols nor background colors.

I have published the Web Layer as a Map Image (Capture-3-publish-settings.PNG).

I am working with an on-premises portal (10.7.1).

The comparison between ArcGIS Pro and Portal/ArcGIS Server is given in Capture-4-arcgispro-versus-portal.PNG.

0 Kudos
janjermei
New Contributor III

When publishing, I found the following errors in the ArcGIS Server Manager log: 

LevelTimeMessageSource
SEVEREJan 29, 2022, 4:49:57 PMUnable to instantiate class for xml schema type: CIMPopupLayoutSystem/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer
SEVEREJan 29, 2022, 4:49:57 PMUnable to instantiate class for xml schema type: CIMCompositeCalloutSystem/PublishingToolsEx.GPServer
SEVEREJan 29, 2022, 4:49:50 PMFailed to rename cache folder.Presentation/Maptest.MapServer
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@janjermei 

Thanks for providing additional information. Would you mind provide some sample data/map to help me reproduce this on my side?

thanks

0 Kudos
janjermei
New Contributor III

@TanuHoque 

I have attached ZIP files with Shapefile test data, the APRX and the publish settings.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @janjermei for sharing data and map. We will look into this and get back to you.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@janjermei 

I checked with our labeling team and they confirmed that you'd need to upgrade to 10.8.1 or higher. The composite callout was added in Pro 2.6 which is equivalent to server 10.8.1

hope this helps

0 Kudos
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @TanuHoque , I just posted a similar question regarding Maplex and Map Image Layers on ArcGIS Server. My issue is related to label rotation working in ArcMap but not ArcGIS Pro. In my case our ArcGIS Enterprise is at version 10.7.1, do you know if 10.8.1 or higher would fix this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
janjermei
New Contributor III

@Tanu1 

Many thanks, in a few weeks we will have a 10.9.x available and then we will check this solution.

Best regards