ArcGIS Pro Parcel Fabric for PLSS

02-17-2021 06:36 AM

ArcGIS Pro Parcel Fabric for PLSS

Do you know how you can tell that MS Teams call get's disconnected?

You can't :-(... so yesterday I found myself talking to myself for half an hour... 🙂

But something good came out: these videos show some of the capabilities of the new parcel fabric in ArcGIS Pro.

Part 1 - the topological integrity is maintained between parcels of the same type as well as between parcels of different types (vertical alignment). The new boundary model allows for a single boundary between adjacent parcels which makes it easier to maintain. 

The data in cadastral systems has to be defendable - every feature is associated to the legal record that created it. Retired point, boundaries, and parcels are also associated to the record that retired them. This how parcel lineage is supported. Every legal record has a footprint (geometry)

There are 2 types of editing workflows for parcels: Record Driven workflows and Quality Driven workflows. This shows a simple record driven workflow (merge parcels) and how Tasks can be utilized to reduce the learning curve and promote a best practice without the need to customize:

When working with web services and branch versioning there are many new possibilities and advantages. This video shows how edits can be shared in real-time once posted and how you can "travel" to historic moments in time. It also talks about how multiple organizations can keep their data aligned to each other using the geoprocessing tool Import Points:

But how can keep certain boundaries fixed (Pro 2.8 required)? this capability leverage Attribute Rules constraints to prevent a point from moving. Any boundary or polygon attached is also constrained at that location. Useful between jurisdictions and international boundaries. A new geoprocessing tool can also help stakeholders to keep their data in alignment with the authoritative source:

Quality management is a key pillar for a system of record and it comes with the parcel fabric. configure your own rules to meet your business requirements:

Comments
bcgeorgeagol
Occasional Explorer

Amir, simply I like to thank you for showing these resource videos. You inspired many people perhaps I am included. PLSS(public land survey system) dataset is one that comes to mind mostly in the western states and that is our bread and butter. I am so pleased that you illustrated and demo on PLSS PF. You alluded to SID, source identification which assigned to cadastral survey records tied to every single line segment at the end of each line as a raw file. I talked last night to folks in Colorado on the PF and he shared these links with me this morning, awesome we both worked together as Bureau of Land Management Federal surveyors for many years covering some of the highest mountain peaks in the western states. We carried monuments to the mountain peaks either by walking or by flight, writing lengthy field notation on describing each set of monuments that can be related nicely in PF. We know this stuff at heart but now we can maintain our survey using parcel fabric in an editing environment. Over three-hundredths years of history starting from the great father of our nation just like Abe Lincoln never saw George Washington, we just maintained the rectangular survey designed by the early settlers starting from Ohio to the western states. We thus maintain the script of making survey plats which is a beautiful map hand-made we see today. Perhaps no so long history but it stood the test of time on its face. Now, would you please share a little deeper dive into the schema used in developing the PLSS dataset in these videos? Could it be possibly integrated to show New Mexico Spanish Land Grants and other segregated land parcels?     bgeorge@blm.gov

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@bcgeorgeagol 

These videos just scratch the surface and there are many more capabilities that are not included. 13 years ago, I was brought to esri specifically for a project with BLM. It was a pleasure to work with BLM's "old timers" like David Grainger from CA and Dennis Mkcay from NM.

The second iteration was working with MSL - the custodian for PLSS in Montana as well as BLM UT, AGRC and SITLA followed by work with Premier.

I am not sure if the information model shown in these demos, which is a direct Upgrade from ArcMap is the most optimal for BLM. Perhaps the 'intersected model' might be easier to maintain and integrate with business systems?!

And Yes - the PLSS, as seen by anyone flying over the US, defies any 'topographic sense' but tells the story of expansion to the west as well as surveying ingenuity.

Now is a great opportunity to rethink and lay the groundwork for generations to come that preserve the history and opens the door to the adoption of new methodologies, technology (GNSS) and new workflows.

Please contact @BenKnott who can put you in touch with BLM's think tank.

and yes - Spanish land grants and other segregated rights can be modeled. Even 'Varas'.

Version history
Last update:
‎02-17-2021 06:36 AM
Updated by:
Contributors