Help with ArcMap- Bathymetry data and getting water depths

Jump to solution
02-01-2015 12:29 PM
HarryScott1
New Contributor

For a student project I'm looking at the extension of a jetty on the coastline of Cornwall.

I want to see how much they would have to extend the jetty for full tidal access for the cargo ships

The question is can this be done using tools in ArcGis to eventually create a buffer zone on a map where the jetty needs to exceed it in order to get the ships in.

Also what data would I need? I have access to Digimap and it as vector data and hydroview charts

I don't have access to Arc Marine only to Arcmap 10.1

Thanks

Harry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, fully resolved, especially via ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry | Overview and ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting | Overview 

------
Dawn Wright (she/her/hers), Ph.D. & GISP | Esri Chief Scientist

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Harry, It is not a buffer you would calculate. You probably have to make the jetty longer, so that it reaches a certain water depth, the cargo ships require + probably the length of the cargo ship. You will need the minimum depth required by the cargo ship, the length of the ship and information on the jetty and bathymetry. It might be easiest to do this analysis visually and extend the jetty manually.

JpersonalLundquist
New Contributor III

was this resolved? pretty old But GIS is the perfect tool for this. ESRI recognizes maritime use of GIS > S-57

0 Kudos
DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, fully resolved, especially via ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry | Overview and ArcGIS for Maritime: Charting | Overview 

------
Dawn Wright (she/her/hers), Ph.D. & GISP | Esri Chief Scientist
0 Kudos