New to GIS.

02-16-2015 10:46 AM
JesseCaney
New Contributor

I'm brand new to the GIS community and am trying to wrap my head around the application. I plan on having a career as a wildlife biologist of some sort and I've been told I should be familiar with the program. I downloaded the ArcGIS explorer for desktop but I can't seem to load any maps onto it. Is there something I'm missing? All that appears is a white screen with some arctic cricle, prime meridian etc. I tried to use the Harvard GIS tutorial on how to actually use it but as i stated above I can't open any examples. I unzip the files and replace them into the C drive but it won't even find them when I go to open them. They end dbf i'm not familiar with what that means. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or any information that could help me I'd appreciate it.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

If you are just learning ArcGIS and not using it in commercial projects then it would be worth getting ArcGIS for Home Use - http://www.esri.com/arcgis-for-home

ArcGIS Explorer is different from ArcGIS Desktop. You will want to learn the desktop version as Explorer is more of a spatial data viewing application.

As Tim suggested, ESRI offers a lot of material on their training site.

The help system has a heap of material to get you started - ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Start with the basics of ArcMap before moving on to other topics such as creating a geodatabase.

You should be able to open the Harvard GIS tutorial data in ArcMap. The ArcGIS download site also includes a lot of optional tutorial data.

JesseCaney
New Contributor

Thank you for your respone Owen. I have started to download the program Tim sent me the link for. Is this different from the one you have replied with? If it is would it be beneficial to use both?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You mention Harvard... if you are a student, see this link  found on this page

0 Kudos
JesseCaney
New Contributor

I am not a student of Harvard. I'm transferring over from a CC to a state university.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Check their library site then.  Most universities and colleges have site license agreements permitting downloads of the advanced version of ArcMap.  They run for a year and are renewable each year that you are a student...at least that is the case in Canada, and I can't fathom the US being less enfranchised.

0 Kudos
JesseCaney
New Contributor

That would be a good idea but my CC doesn't have any GIS classes and I'm not officially enrolled in my next school so I have no access to that software.

0 Kudos
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

Jesse - It should be the same software, the only difference will be when you come to entering license details.

0 Kudos
JesseCaney
New Contributor

Your help is much appreciated !

0 Kudos
GordonKnight
New Contributor II

I am currently learning this software, ArcMap 10.2.2 at UNLV Geology department.

The book I am using is Mastering ArcGIS by Maribeth Price.

It's a good book to get you started.

I would also suggest taking a class, there's a lot more to GIS than just learning the software.

The issues of errors, and the effect of spatial autocorrelation on errors is not well taught in the software manuals.

0 Kudos
JesseCaney
New Contributor

For some reason I can't open the software. I've downloaded it but I'm only able to open a window called ArcGIS administrator. I'll look into the book for sure. I plan on taking a class when I start college in the summer. I'd like to be familiar with it before since my work relies on it.

0 Kudos