Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding Points to a Existing Map

02-01-2018 01:03 PM
deleted-user-Jhc6Dca2JfQr
New Contributor III

Hello- I am having one heck of a time just doing a simple thing on my map- not sure why.

the map is one I found in my office share drive, have repointed it to the server, and I am using 10.6

I need to add three different color points to mark off the Towns Parking lots handicap, 1,2,3 hour parking spaces.

It should very simple but I am not finding a way to does this.,

Could you make some suggestions to me?

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you do not have a featureclass to put the points in, then you will need to create a new featureclass in your geodatabase.

Once you have added the locations, then you will need to provide attributes to the table to enable you to symbolize the different points in different colors/symbols based on the desired attribute.

If this doesn't sound familiar, perhaps you could elaborate on what you have, what form the data are in if it exists... and if the data already exists, and you aren't familiar with 10.6 or ArcMap in general, then the first thing you should do is produce a copy of the file first (Copy Tool in ArcToolbox)

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hello Dan

Here is what I have done so far- 

Nothing shows up in the "create features" , which I expect is part of the problem- but do not know how to remedy

As far as making a copy- I renamed it- so the original stays in tack- is using the copy feature in tool box better way?

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Great advice- will take a look and post the results!!

Thanks Dan!!

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Dan-  remember going over that a few months back- it helped to go over it again-

I got farther but not doing what I need it to do..

I want to add a point- then in a drop down box designate weather it is a 1 hour or Handi Cap spot and have to designations show as a diffierant color. For example- Blue for handicap, yellow for 1 hour and so on.

Here is what I got so far...

I Also get this

I did tell it to correct the reference data when I added it, but not sure how to correct it now.

Again- I thank you for you  help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You aren't going to get the fanciness you want.  I was under the impression that you wanted to just create a dataset.

Now it looks like you want to get into an application development environment.  Keep it simple, create the geometry, add the attributes and if you have to do this on a daily basis, then develop the app.

To fix the 'not the same as the dataframe issue', just change the coordinate system of the dataframe through its properties.

The easiest way is to open a new dataframe, and drag a file with the coordinate system that you want into it.  The first file usually sets the coordinate system of the dataframe by default.  Make sure all others are in the same coordinate system to avoid projections on the fly.

Good luck

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Paul, if all you need is to have your parking space features presymbolized and attributed, so that during your edit session, you can choose the correct parking lot symbol before you add the point, you can accomplish this with a feature template. Essentially, you define in advance the default symbol and default attribute for each type of parking space. It will look something like the image below. Each time you add a point, you can pick the type you want. I'm not sure if you're looking for this kind of functionality or something more advanced. 

There are several help topics on feature templates starting with About feature templates. There are some good introductory ArcMap editing exercises starting with Introduction to the Editing tutorial.

Tim

New Contributor III

Thanks Tim-

That is what I want to do. I take a look.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

As I read and claw my way through- I progress but slow, I continue to read and apply but as seen below- I was able to make the points I wanted.  Under parking spots in Table of contents is what I want- but in the create features the color & shape is incorrect- 

0 Kudos