Adding basemaps makes ArcMAp crash

Jump to solution
03-18-2013 09:29 PM
KristinaPettersson
New Contributor II
Hi, I have been trying all afternoon to do excersise 1a in the workbook. When I open the basemap layer called streets and  try to zoom in over western USA the program crashes. I have a one year trial version for teachers and students and I just started using it. Since all the other excersises are based on finishing this first one I can't get anywhere . I also tried opening some other basemaps with the same result as soon as I try to zoom. What can I do to make it work?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinaPettersson
New Contributor II
Hi, Thank you for your advice. I updated ArcDesktop to the latest version which seem to have solved the problem.  I can now use the besemaps and zoom in without problems.
/Kristina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristianHarder
Esri Contributor
kripe535,

Sorry you're experiencing a problem. We checked and there were no known issues with the Basemap servers over the past few days.

Please let me know what version (including build # and any Service Packs) of the software you're running by going to Help-->About ArcMap on the file menu.

While it should work with a Student version, another alternative would be to run the 90-day trial that came with the book.

Also, can you check if any of the other basemaps behave in the same bad way?

Christian Harder
0 Kudos
ChristianHarder
Esri Contributor
Here is something you can try immediately courtesy of our tech support folks:

"Without a crashdump it�??s hard to tell, but I�??m guessing it is crashing because hardware acceleration is on and they have an old, corrupt or otherwise compromised graphics driver or card.

To turn off hardware acceleration, go to Customize->ArcMap Options->Data View tab and uncheck �??Enable Hardware Acceleration�?�.  Then try adding the basemap. 

Alternatively, they could look into updating their graphics card drivers from the manufacturer�??s website but this is something most novice users don�??t like to do."

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Christian
0 Kudos
KristinaPettersson
New Contributor II
Hi, Thank you for your advice. I updated ArcDesktop to the latest version which seem to have solved the problem.  I can now use the besemaps and zoom in without problems.
/Kristina
0 Kudos
AlexNereson1
New Contributor
I was having the same problem. It was solved when I turned off the hardware accelerator.  Thanks!
0 Kudos