Local Server failing to start

02-11-2015 08:33 PM
JanaPfefferova
New Contributor

Hi,

I have new issue.

I'm using local Map service and local Feature service (starting from two different mpk). It always starts without any problems unless I install ArcGis Runtime Toolkit (which I need to display legend in my app). When I install this toolkit through Manage NuGet Packages and start the app I'm getting the error: LocalServer start failed: executable not found (for both service). There is no error in the error list and not even warning.

Also when I uninstall that toolkit the services never start again so I have to create new project.

Does anyone know what to do?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like there is a possible conflict between Nuget and the API as installed by the SDK. When you have referenced the toolkit via Nuget, please can you check the main API reference - is it using Nuget or the installed SDK?

Can you try cloning and building the toolkit repo (Esri/arcgis-toolkit-dotnet · GitHub) then reference that from your project?

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
JanaPfefferova
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for quick reply.

It’s quite silly but I don’t know how to check the main API reference…

Could you walk me through it?

Cheers

Jana

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

Sorry for not being clear - I meant check your project reference. In the Solution Explorer window please expand the Project > References nodes and right click Esri.ArcGISRuntime then choose properties.

Do you see something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS SDKs...", which indicates it is using the installed SDK, or something like "C:\...\packages\...", which indicates it is using the Nuget reference?

You can also check you Nuget references by right clicking the Project and choosing "Manage Nuget Packages".

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux

The local server doesn't work with the ArcGIS Runtime nuget package. It's only working with the installed version of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .Net.

The problem being that when you load the toolkit from nuget, it brings the dependent arcgis runtime from nuget as well.

The workaround is to set the ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.InstallPath in app.xaml.cs.

Something like:

ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.InstallPath = "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS SDKs\\DotNet10.2.5\\WindowsDesktop\\bin";

ArcGISRuntimeEnvironment.Initialize();

JanaPfefferova
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Sorry to bother you, but I have one important question.

What I need to do (excluding the legend) is to create an app for Windows Tablets (Windows 8.1). This app should work offline all the time. We need to be able to edit one layer in the field (offline) but there is no need to sync these edits. But this edited layer should be export to shapefile (which will be sending to different client by email). There is no option to use any ArcGIS service – except when developing the app.

I was thinking of using the Local service pattern as I could use the geoprocessing task to extract feature class to shp. But now I’ve read that this local services are available only for desktop and not Windows store.

So which other options do I have?

Because if I’m right you can’t edit shapefile and also you can’t edit runtime geodatabase?

I’m pretty confused right now.

Cheers

Jana

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

Unfortunately the LocalServer is not available for use in Store or Phone apps and the Shapefile support is currently read-only. We are considering making that read/write in the future - so it's good to get the feedback from you. Additionally in the future you will be able to programmatically create new runtime geodatabases, but for now they are read-only unless extracted from a feature service.

It would all be achievable in a desktop/WPF app - but if your requirement is to build a Store app then for now you will need to consider another storage mechanism for those temporary edits and then perhaps another library to write to Shapefile (it's an open/published format so there are 3rd party components available).

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
JanaPfefferova
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reply – even though it’s not the greatest news.

I’m considering to suggest our client to use our Feature service and solve the editing with extracting the geodatabase before they leaving office and going offline.

Just hopefully last question for you: If they extract the geodatabase from feature service and then go offline, will the geodatabase persist when turning the app off and then loading it again. They are sometimes offline in the field for a couple of days.

Cheers

Jana

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

Yes, once you have extracted the geodatabase from the service, you can go offline for as long as you like. You (as the developer) are responsible for pulling down updates from the service and synchronizing your edits back up to the service.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos