My Esri Support should include bug search capability

05-24-2023 02:21 PM
Labels (1)
TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

The My Esri Support workflow should include the ability to search and present details for all bugs.

The My Esri Support site presently helps you search your own organization's bugs, but not bugs reported by others.  This has nearly no value for helping us solve new problems prior to requesting a support case.

TimMinter_1-1684963203153.png

7 Comments
anonymous_geographer

I believe they do provide that. It's a little bit buried, but once you've entered the Search area of Esri's Support page, you should be able to filter and search by Bugs on the left-hand side. Here's the link to the Search page where you can filter by Bugs.
https://support.esri.com/en-us/search?s=Relevance

Bugs are filterable within the Content Type, here:

anonymous_geographer_0-1684964220760.png

I hope that helps.

TimMinter

Yes, I've been able to find that outside of the My Esri Support workflow.  I think it's a great idea to provide it within the workflow to help me go through a logical sequence of self-service before I commit to an Esri support request.  Sequence being something like:

1. Is the power on?  yes
  2. Is the PC on?  yes
  3. Are all ArcGIS dependencies correct?  yes
  4. Did I read and follow the instructions?  yes
  5. Is it a known bug?  
  6. Is there a workaround?  
  7. etc.

You get the idea 🙂

tim

AaronKoelker

I'd like to add, in addition to making it easier to search bugs within My ESRI, allow for users to subscribe themselves to a bug and get updated whenever the bug status changes. In the ESRI Support mobile app, this functionality seems to almost exist. You can go to a BUG article and under 'Take Action' there is a Subscribe option, but it is greyed out and doesn't seem to do anything. Perhaps it is a feature in the works, but regardless it would be really helpful for admins doing enterprise support to be able to search and track these known issues more easily, which would save time for both us and ESRI Support staff.

TimMinter

@AaronKoelker - After some support requests to get myself on the notification list for various bugs, I've developed the perception that Esri is purposefully removing the bug entries from public view and from paying customers' views.  So, maybe my idea is misaligned with their strategy.

ChristianWells

I'd like to respond to the idea that Esri deliberately removes bug entries from public view. I've discussed this in another thread, 'Why aren't more bugs reports shared publicly?' and want to reshare the information for awareness. 

A bug won't display in the public view because it still needs to complete the internal review process of technical and copy editing. Any time we update a bug internally, this process starts over again to validate the new information, and the bug will have its publishing status changed, which in turn removes it from the public view. 

The only other situation where a bug is not publicly shared is if it contains sensitive information, which is extremely rare. 

TimMinter

Thanks @ChristianWells, transparency helps.  Is this information available from the various bugs touchpoints in Esri's web presence?  So, if I click "Bugs & Enhancements" in the screenshot above, there might be some link or hover thingy that contains the info you have shared?

ChristianWells

Thanks, @TimMinter, - good idea! There are a couple of ways we could do it, at minimum we can publish a Knowledge Article on the Support website. @AndrewMunn what do you think about adding a note somewhere on the Support website about bug visibility (see my comment above on why some bugs don't appear on the Support website)?