Select to view content in your preferred language

Using a variable in the select data tool in model builder

Jump to solution
04-08-2015 07:39 AM
alecmajor1
Deactivated User

Hi

I'm developing a model which uses the select data tool and am trying to find a way to use this to iterate through a feature dataset. I'm stuck because the child data element does not seem to accept a variable such as %Name% only accepting a single feature class in the feature dataset.

Is there a simple way of performing this procedure or is it not possible to do this?

I've attached a jpg of the model to this message which hopefully shows what I am trying to do - iterate through a feature dataset to

a) select adjacent polygons

b) merge the adjacent polygons to the original feature class

The %name% variable is used so that the same feature class is selected for each iteration.

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Deactivated User

The iterate feature classes tool iterates though feature classes in a workspace. It sounds like you want iterate feature selection.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SepheFox
Deactivated User

The iterate feature classes tool iterates though feature classes in a workspace. It sounds like you want iterate feature selection.

SepheFox
Deactivated User

You will probably find this useful also: selecting adjacent features within a layer...

ArcGIS Desktop

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One thing that you need to realize about model iteration is that the entire model is iterated. If you want use iterators to create a list and merge, you need to do that in a submodel. The submodel would have an iterator in it and use Collect Values to create a multivalue that would be returned as a parameter to Merge in the parent model. This is the only way to nest iteration in ModelBuilder.

Desktop 10.3 Help: Integration a model within a model > Advanced use of Model iterators