Select to view content in your preferred language

Submodel update/refresh after modification

07-26-2023 03:36 PM
Labels (3)
LeahClark
New Contributor III

I have some pretty complex ModelBuilder tools I have developed that contain a lot of nested sub-models. These submodels are sometimes modified, such as in value lists or code blocks, but the tools using them don't update their behavior unless I delete the modified submodel from those tools, then copy it back in and reconnect everything. This can be particularly tedious for sub-models that have a lot of parameters.

Is there any way to tell a parent tool to automatically "refresh" its connections to sub-models it uses so that any changes in the sub-model are integrated into the parent model?

5 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I've experienced the same issue and never found a solution.  You say you have some complex models, in my experience it's often easier  to convert your model into a script; easier to maintain, none of this model remembering stuff issue, easier to edit and of cause a lot easier for looping within loops.  I would recommend making the jump to python script if your model is large and cumbersome.

ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, that is our current limitation. We have this feature in our backlog and will try to prioritize it. Thanks for reporting it!

VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

is there a place where we can up vote to have this bump to higher in the priority list?! Thank you!

0 Kudos
ShitijMehta
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, the ideas site https://community.esri.com/t5/modelbuilder-ideas/idb-p/modelbuilder-ideas
We just updated this page and have not moved old ones so you don't see other ideas, but you can add here.
Thanks!

0 Kudos
mthompson
New Contributor III

I have a similar need for some tools that list all feature classes in a database. For example, when running the Rebuild Indexes tool I check off all the feature classes in the database, but if a feature class is added or deleted it does not appear in the list until you delete the connection and reconnect it. Same for versions list in the Reconcile and Post tools.

0 Kudos