Select to view content in your preferred language

Require help with some field calculator problems

08-05-2014 10:38 PM
DanielMcCullock
New Contributor

I'll start with the over arching project.

I have a database of feature layers which contain regularly spaced rectangular features (or square depending on the projection).

They form the "Global Area Reference System" created by NGA. They come in 30min, 15min, 5min and 1min (1 min are not NGA but created by our cell).

I have created a model which adds top, bottom, left and right fields then adds the extents of each feature in DD. It then uses the convert coordinates in file to add  Top left, Top Right, Bottom Left and Bottom Right fields and calculate the MGRS coords for these.

Problem I have run into is when trying to run the model on the 1 min box's. there is almost 1.5 mil features in each feature layer and the system can't handle it.

My thought was I could run the convert coordinates in a sub model and iterate through each line but each time the convert coordinates in file tool is run it creates a new field.

Does anyone have ideas they can throw at me as I am a bit stuck and needing to get this task complete.

Cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohannesBierer
Regular Contributor

Whats the name of the new field?

Would it be possible to generate smaller chunks (maybe 10 000) and merge them after the work is done? If the field name is always the same?

0 Kudos
OliviaDiaz
New Contributor

How about calculating the data in the new field into the old field then drop that new field? It could be a select where, calculate the selected records then drop the field.

0 Kudos
HemantAngarkar2
Occasional Contributor

Looks like you are facing "Dicing Godzilla" scenario! Read more here‌.

0 Kudos
DanielMcCullock
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies,

I have created a new model which iterates through each row, calculates into a new feature then appends to a master feature class. This works on a small scale, but when I try to run it on the feature class with 1.5 mil features, it just sits and does nothing.

I will try your idea Johannes of splitting into small chunks. The thing that I am trying to achieve mostly is automation of this process through a model. I will give it a go and let you know how I fair.

the article on "Dicing Godzilla" was interesting, but it does not apply to my situation as I have 1.5 million features but only 5 vertices per feature. Although it is likely a memory problem, hopefully ArcGIS Pro will fix this through 64bit processing and utilize the 64gb of ram I have...

Thanks again

0 Kudos
HemantAngarkar2
Occasional Contributor

You mentioned field calculator tool being used in model, I thought it is related to the article.

All the very best

0 Kudos