points to lines

12-05-2017 06:55 PM
Ahmad_Muhamad_Senousi_Ahmad
New Contributor II

I want to connect a line between every two points which are away from each other by specific distances.
Are there tools do that?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is the obvious Points to Line tool which you can use if your current point spacing is to your liking

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply.
I used this tool but the result is not desirable. I want to connect between points based on specific distance from each other.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then as long as you have a license above Basic

Simplify Line... using point remove... and specify a tolerance as well

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

In all points, there is a pair of points that separate by a distance from each other. I need to connect lines between each pair of points. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is no built-in tool... provide a sample of your points and the required distance and something could be cobbled together using arcpy and/or numpy

New Contributor II

Ok.
Thank you very much
Best regards,

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so is it 1.1 you want to change? I guess something is still missing from your description of the problem because if it is just that value, then you need to query for the distance, get the Origin-Destination pairs out from the query and make a line from the coordinates made in the Shape field

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would probably start with Generate Near Table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop with a search distance to limit the results and then use some Python code to generate the lines between those point pairs found. Is that what you are looking for?

0 Kudos