Model Builder Output Inline Variables/Add to Display and Output Symbology

07-31-2019 06:32 AM
KristieReece
New Contributor III

I am attempting to make my first set of models with Model Builder in ArcMap 10.6 and have come across a few snags in the process. 

1. Adding symbology to the output of the geocode tool or the make feature layer tool. I have created a feature layer with the symbology I would like to use which is set to unique values under categories. Some of the values are grouped together so that they have the same symbol and label. However, if using the output symbology properties it will not group the values together. I have also tried using the Apply Symbology to Layer tool which I have yet to get to work at all. If I import symbology by hand and load the layer file it does everything as expected, so it seems it should be possible.

2. The next issue involves using inline variables to set the output location and layer name then displaying the output in the TOC/map. I have two variables set as a model parameter: "Output Location" (which is a workspace variable to designate the output location) and "Week Number" (string variable used to specify the week number for the data included as this model would be run on a weekly basis). I have set the output of the final tool as a model parameter, add to display is on, and the geoprocessing setting "Add results of geoprocessing operations to the display" is checked. However, if I use the inline variables in the output it will place them in the proper location, but not add them to the display. If I set the output to "Managed" then it will place it in the default location of the MXD and then add them to the display. I would prefer to allow the user to specify where the output should be rather than using the Managed option. 

Also, is it possible to hide the output model parameters from the tool dialogue without setting them as "Managed"?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Attached is an image of the beginning stages of the model where I seem to be experiencing these issues.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I can answer #2 and the question after it I think: I learned a new trick at EsriUC from Shitij Mehta‌ this year which is to pass the output named variable ( %Output Workspace%\%Output Name% ) to the Collect Values tool and tag the output of that as a parameter. This hides the variables from the dialog when the model is run for a tool, and will add the output to the map, as it is tagged as a derived parameter by ModelBuilder. Worth a try anyway.

As for #1, does the unique values field exactly match the one on your data set? I ask because the dialog you are referring to prompts you to choose the field to use for symbology, and specifying an output symbology for a model element does not give you that option.

0 Kudos