Select to view content in your preferred language

Model builder giving a 000438: Overlay not polygon error when clipping features

10-03-2023 08:02 PM
Labels (2)
AndrewHankinson
Regular Contributor

I have created a simple model that should run the fishnet tool creating a fishnet grid (polyline) and fishnet labels (points) for a specified area of interest. The model should then go into clipping both these features against the area of interest.

However, when I run the model it fails on the clipping tool, giving a 000438 error. But I am clipping a polyline and point features against a polygon feature, equally I can run the clip features tool against the fishnet outputs following a more manual approach.

I must be missing something but for the life of me can't see what, this is my first time trying to create a model though.

Any help would be appreciated, I've attached a screenshot of the model for reference. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It isn't possible from you image to determine what featureclass you are using as the clipping featureclass to ensure that it is a polygon type

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AndrewHankinson
Regular Contributor

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for replying.

I've attached a screenshot the site boundary polygon I was using to clip the point and polyline features.
I've also tried this model with a different site boundary polygon within a different project and get the same error message.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

not sure you can clip with a PolygonZ featureclass.  Try a copy of the featureclass omitting the Z component

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AndrewHankinson
Regular Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion, I created a new polygon AOI without a Z tolerance and I get the same error message. 
It's quite strange as if I run the individual tools using the same layers everything works fine

0 Kudos