Select to view content in your preferred language

How to "summarize" in modelbuilder?

03-30-2011 06:31 AM
GuillaumeRoyer
New Contributor
I work on ArcMAP 10
I usually use the summarize function by right-clicking on a column header in a table, and it does exactly what I need.
I want to do the same, but in modelbuilder. Basically, I need to see how many times each unique values appears in a field, and I need the result in a new table. I tried the summary statistic tool, but I can only get it to calculate the number of entries in a particular field.
I am fairly new to GIS so I may be missing something obvious.

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
EricMartinson
New Contributor III
Salut Guillaume-
Did you ever find an answer to your question? I'm looking for the same thing. I doubt we'll get help from ESRI, as their resources are devoted to putting out crappy new software versions instead of fixing and documenting issues in the old ones...
--Eric
0 Kudos
BradBolton1
New Contributor II

I've barely used modelbuilder....So I'm trying something new to me. I have a layer with a text field (with words, not numbers), with around 30,000 records. I want to remove duplicates and just leave the unique values in a new table, which leaves about 29,000 records when I do it manually (right-click on field header in attribute table & summarize). Anyone know if this is possible in modelbuilder? I'm striking out. 

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here are are a few tools that may work for you:

• Summary Statistics (this is the tool equivalent to your right-click / Summarize interactive workflow)
  • Frequency (requires ArcInfo license)
  • Delete Identical

Hope this helps you out!

0 Kudos
BradBolton1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your reply Curt. For whatever reason, I couldn't figure out the Summary Statistics tool option. It doesn't seem to operate the same as right-click/summarize--admittedly, I've never used this tool.

What I ended up doing, was using the Dissolve tool. My layer is a polygon layer, and dissolve worked well to get unique attribute values into their own records. 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dissolve - I didn't think of that! 

Summary Statistics is entirely equivalent to the ArcMap right click summarize  (with more functionality, including multiple case items). Note that in ArcGIS Pro, a right click summarize there opens the Summary Statistics tool.

0 Kudos
BradBolton1
New Contributor II

Good to know, thanks! 

0 Kudos