Edit a table using Modelbuilder/arcpy

12-13-2018 09:58 AM
JonathanCarbonneau
New Contributor

I am trying to create a tool or a script where a user (with limited knowledge of ArcGIS) can modify a table, as in add values or edit values. The table is already created and has 9 Fields/columns. Some of the values must be selectable from a dropdown list of already existing values. Those values are taken from another table, a shapefile of roads.

So ultimately, the user with limited knowledge has to be able to add rows of informations in a table and select the values from a dropdown list of values from a another table. All within a tool or script, not by editing everything inside the ArcMap software.

I don't know if I am all clear, I myself possess a little knowledge of Modelbuilder and arcpy.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If the pick list does not have to be dynamic, you can hard code pick lists in the Model Properties / Parameters dialog, and do some of what you want using Python functions built into Calculate Value.

But if you go to Python Python script tool, so you can do dynamic parameter validation (for example, create a pick list from existing values in a table). Python will give you much more flexibility with the tool interface, and even more if you use a Python toolbox (.pyt) which gives you access to value table widgets (not available with straight script tools linked to a .tbx).

It sounds pretty complicated so I recommend looking into the Python route.

Hope this helps.