Compare Attributes among feature class(s)

09-09-2014 01:47 PM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Greetings:

Once a month, I update my Geodatabase with updated property information from our county's assessor data. Other parts of my company need to know is different attributes change on any parcel(s) over a given time. In the past, I would export the data to Excel and use Microsoft Access to compare the different fields and product different excel reports.

I want to change my workflow and build an ArcGIS Model through model builder and/or a python script to take Feature Class 1 (Parcels_072014) and compare specific fields with Feature Class 2 (Parcels_092014). Since the Parcel Numbers (PID) doesn't change, but the associated information does (Owner Name, Site Address, ETC) and I want to be able to isolate those changes.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank You

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Not sure what the fastest way to do it would be, but you can join the two feature classes together based on PID and select/export (or do something else) based on the difference in the fields.

0 Kudos
ModernElectric

Darren:

Yes, so far I have a model built which brings in the (2) different Parcel feature class(s) into a File Geodatabase which ends with both of them being combined into a new feature class via the PID. I know I can use Calculate Field to compare selected fields in the same row doing the is/else python statement. The different examples I've tried doesn't seem to be working. Not sure if I am writing it correctly or not.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

There's an example here. If that doesn't help, what are you trying?

0 Kudos
ModernElectric

This is what I am trying and keep getting the 9999 (General Error). What am I not writing properly?Field Calculator.BMPCalculate Field.BMP

DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Change Parser to Python.

ModernElectric

Okay good to go. Looks like that was an oversight on my part. Thank You for the help

0 Kudos