Can I add Export map to PDF in Model Builder?

01-22-2018 06:05 AM
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

I have to create a process where once an Excel spreadsheet is updated a model is run to create a series of geocodes and joins to finally spit out a new file in a gdb. I have that down and it works...but I also need that map and the data that belongs to it, exported to pdf. I have that tool, but I am not sure how to link it all up in one model. HELP?!

I would normally just run my model, open up the updated mxd and then export it, but I am creating this for people who do not know ArcGIS/ArcMap. They update the spreadsheet, have access to run the model and that is all. The final product that is needed is a pdf of the map. Any ideas on how I can add the "Export map to PDF" in Model Builder once the final files from that model have run and have been added to my mxd??

Thanks

Larisa

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SMauri
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Larisa,

you could use a Python script function (Export to Pdf) using Calculate Value tool

Stefano

0 Kudos
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Thanks Stefano,

I am not exactly sure how to go about doing that. I am all very new to this. I have read that I could possibly run a submodel in a model, but I am not sure HOW to get a submodel to run...would that be useful? This is all very confusing to me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are some tips in the documentation for Map and Pro on how to collect values for submodels

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/modelbuilder-toolbox/examples-of-using-model-only-to...

0 Kudos
LarisaJohnstone
New Contributor III

Great! Thank you! This is helpful.

0 Kudos
SMauri
by
Occasional Contributor III

You don't need to create a submodels. You can insert Python function in a Calculate Value and setting a Precondition, so the last "output" of your model will be the trigger for "Export PDF" function

And probably you need also a inline variable substitution for setting output path for your PDF output.

Cheers

Stefano

0 Kudos
JosephBuonocore
New Contributor

Did you ever get this whole process to work? If so could you take a screenshot of the whole model as it would save me some time as I have this exact situation