Select to view content in your preferred language

Apply Symbology after Calculate Field

05-10-2024 09:38 AM
paleothalweg
Emerging Contributor

I'm creating a tool that calculates a field based on the selected records of a layer, and then applies symbology to that layer. However, my issue is that the calculate field tool output is a table, but the apply symbology from layer tool requires a layer input. 

Is there a way I can have model builder recognize this table (that is actually a line layer) recognize this as a layer?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SiqiLi
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Probably you could try the following two approaches:

1. Provide the Calculate Field tool with valid layer layer input, field name and expression. After the Calculate Field tool becomes valid, it allows connecting to Apply Symbology From Layer tool as Input Layer or Symbology Layer. You can remove the Calculate Field input layer value after connection.
    SiqiLi_0-1723583352042.png

2. If you prefer not filling in the Calculate Field tool, you can try use inline variable substitution.
    In the Apply Symbology From Layer tool, specify %use_calculate_ field_output_variable_ name_in_between_percent_symbols% as the Input Layer parameter. Also draw a precondition link between Calculate Field tool and Apply Symbology From Layer tool. This should work as well.
    SiqiLi_1-1723583450340.png

0 Kudos