Alternative to using Representations for symbolizing geology?

08-29-2018 01:50 PM
AlexGerrish1
New Contributor III

Is there a way to save a style that will assign multiple unique symbols to a layer (like representations used to do?)

For years we used representations in ArcMap to symbolize our geology layers. They were useful for standardizing symbology for 60+ attributes for geology polygon feature classes stored in an SDE. I know representations can still be read in Arc Pro but they will convert to Unique Value symbology only when connected to SDE with dbo authentication (not os authentication). I'd like a quick way to assign multiple unique values to corresponding attributes without having to use dbo authentication. Is there a way to use shared Styles to do this?

What is the recommended method for this kind of symbology in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ZakirmanIbros
New Contributor II

I am interested with the Representative for Symbology. I just explore it and we can make unique symbolgy by Representation

Alex Gerrish may be you are more experience for this. I need your advice.

How to rename heading of the Representation Symbology,? like we can rename when we create with standard symbology.

Best

Zibros

0 Kudos
AlexGerrish1
New Contributor III

As I understand it, the heading will change only if the name of the representation is changed from ArcCatalog. You need to be dbo to rename the representation. Field headings can be changed freely from the layer properties.

I hope this helps, Zibros.

0 Kudos
ZakirmanIbros
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response, 

Yes we can change the name but can not put space like we type normally words with space, and also still the Representation word in the heading of the layer in ArcMap.

0 Kudos