New to community

07-14-2021 07:13 AM
cl3
by
New Contributor II

HI!

I am new to the community, I just completed my Master's in Environmental GIS.  I have been using Arcmap for over 5years.  I currently work for a university and have very little opportunity to use my GIS skills, I am trying to stay current and would love an entry level position that would benefit from my skills.  I am anxious to learn from everyone in the community.

4 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hello @cl3 , Welcome to the community. You can find many helpful resources and people here. Here are a few places to get you started:

Products - Esri Community  

ArcMap - Esri Community

Industries - Esri Community

Developers - Esri Community

Learning - Esri Community (Learn ArcGIS, Esri Press)

Services - Esri Community  (Training, Certification, My Esri...)

and if you are looking for job posts check out :  GIS Jobs - Esri Community

Cheers, 

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
cl3
by
New Contributor II

Hi Michelle!

Thank you so much for the great resources, these will be so beneficial for me as a newby. 

Have a great day!

Cheers,

0 Kudos
GeraldBartz
New Contributor III

Hi cl3,

In a way, I have been in your situation. My career entry position did not provide me with the future opportunities I was looking for.

GIS is an exciting, dynamic area. If your position is  not providing you with an opportunity to use GIS, you might consider a slight career shift within the University, a transfer to another University that would provide you with more GIS opportunities or perhaps a government or private sector job with GIS responsibilities. 

If you have been using ArcMap, you need to acquire GIS skills in ArcPRO and WebGIS. As a possible start to look at the broad uses of of GIS, many of with can be applied to environmental problems. A broad approach can be at this this site:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/939b0102d1bb4af380edc6d9de2e5cc4

This is the GeoInquiry site, and it focuses on basis critical thinking and problem solving. In addition it includes the use of AGOL (Web Mapping) and an Environmental Sciences section. Apply what you learn in the Environmental Sciences to you own area of interest. Use StoryMaps to form a resume. If you are an instructor encourage your students to use StoryMaps in the classroom. Possibly link them to Sustainability Issues. 

Now you will be using GIS and staying current. Can you solve or document some University or community issues with GIS? Perhaps you can then present these ideas to community action groups. Perhaps the University will recognize your ability to document and offer solutions to University problems and appoint you to work with various administrative committees. Show them the value of GIS.

Jerry Bartz, GSTEdC

cl3
by
New Contributor II

Hi Gerald,

I am so thankful for your post!  You have provided great ways I can use my skills now and I am so greatful  this is so helpful.

Thanks again.

Cathy

0 Kudos