Introduce Yourself!

02-02-2018 12:21 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Welcome to GeoNet!

We are a community that collaborates, learns and shares together. To help you connect with other members, we started this introduction thread. Think of this as your intro to GeoNet networking and a chance to get to know  each other as we begin our GeoNet journey.

Please introduce yourself to the rest of the community by sharing your answers to the questions in the comments section below.

• Where do you work and what is your role? 
  • What GIS success have you had this year and what product did you use? (big or small - no win is out of bounds)
  • What is your expertise (GIS related or not), and how can that help the community?

Bonus Round! Post the coordinates to your favorite place on earth.

note: this post has been archived, and is available in read only mode. To create a new introduction, please visit the new GeoNet Member Introductions‌ space. Thank you!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
324 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Reid,

Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find our community helpful!  If you haven't already come across it, our Survey123 for ArcGIS‌ group is one of the most active places on GeoNet. Great group of people collaborating in the group. You might also be interested in Collector for ArcGIS‌.

Cool location!! 

Let me know if you need any help finding something in the community. 

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
MichaelBurlette
New Contributor

Hello,  I am Michael Burlette

I teach 7th Grade Science in Shelton Washington

I am new to ESRI and Geonet

I have not used the content yet.

I am interested in creating a classroom and leading a science class through using Arcgis to investigate ecology.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Michael, 

There is tons of resources with geonet that can help you implement GIS into a classroom, especially with investigative ecology! what kind of equipment do you have? what specifically are you trying to solve and teach? 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Michael Burlette, Welcome to GeoNet! Looks like Reid gave you some tips to get started. A couple other places you might find interesting are K12 InstructionEducation‌.  Everyone here is pretty nice, so feel free to ask any questions you might have. And if you need any help finding something, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
IanKnight
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

My name is Ian Knight, a B.Sc Geographical Sciences graduate from Bristol, UK who has spent the last 30 years in IT, and has eventually, at the age of 56, discovered the amazing world of GIS after reading about how GIS databases are used by the UK Forestry Commission to manage their woodlands.    

I am currently learning to use the ArcGIS Pro product, and it's interface with the Microsoft SQL server database.  I am in the process of mapping-out the distribution of different species of tree within a local conservation area, and studying relationships to influencing factors such as terrain, drainage etc.  As well as being a good personal project to apply my ArcGIS training to, it also is a great opportunity to get outdoors and practice collecting data in the field with a GPS handheld device.  

I would ideally love to pick up work in the GIS field, even if on a voluntary basis. 

Finally, my favourite place is here:  -2.2213  51.6077

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Ian Knight, Welcome to GeoNet! I hope you find our community a valuable resource as you continue to discover the word of GIS. Here are a few places to get you started:

New to GIS

ArcGIS Pro

https://community.esri.com/groups/conservation-gis 

Let me know if you need help finding specific resources within the community. 

Love your favorite place 🙂 

Cheers! 

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
Mohammad_ArifulIslam
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

My name is Mohammad Ariful Islam, Vice President of Highway IT, Founding Member of Bangladesh Digital Social Innovation Forum, The UN SDG Action Partner (SDGAction28083) 

Applied for SDG Action Awards 

I am currently learning to use the ArcGIS Pro product, and it's interface and it also is a great opportunity to get outdoors and practice collecting data in the field with a GPS handheld device.  

I would ideally love to pick up work in the GIS field, even if on a voluntary basis. 

Thank You So Much

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi Mohammad, Welcome to GeoNet!! I hope you find the community welcoming and a valuable resource. Here are a few places to get you started:

Learn ArcGIS

Esri Training

GIS Jobs

Cheers!

Michelle Mathias
0 Kudos
DuaaIzzeldin_Mohamed_Ahmed_Ism
New Contributor

Hi, am Eng. Duaa Ismail, Working in Ras Al Khaimah Municipality in the

United Arab Emirates as Survey Engineer.

Am participating now in one of the Organizational projects, and I took one

of ESRI MOOCs' (DO IT YOUR SELF), also working on developing my GIS

Skills by completing the GIS Specialties online courses which i just

started, mainly they are five courses taken through COURSERA online courses

by University of California,Davis

UC Davis, Taught by: Nick Santos: Geospatial Applications Researcher,

Center for Watershed Sciences

As a Survey Engineer I find it important to get to know GIS, because we as

surveyor and survey Engineers provides GIS with the spatial data and much

as we know about the coordinates systems and the Geo-referencing,

Geo-processing, So that means that my expertise is only related to GIS but

it the core of GIS and am trying to increase my knowledge by knowing how to

integrate GIS with other systems.

So as the first step I need to have some courses and the get in tough with

such communities like GeoNet and begin to develop some applications and

improve that by systems ingratiation, I know its a long path but I also

know u could help me by showing me the right path to start with.

Favorite place is Appalachian Mountains & Rivers in USA, No specific

coordinates available

0 Kudos