Hi, I'm Kyle, a budding cartographer.

05-05-2020 12:25 PM
KyleSwanson
New Contributor II

Hey all, I'm Kyle. I work for the FAA and one of my duties is to make the maps at our facility, the Denver Air Route Traffic Control Center. Our air traffic controllers control all of the en route traffic (above 18,000') passing through an area about twice the size of Colorado. This is usually around 6,000 flights a day, but as I write this at the peak of the Corona Virus pandemic, our air traffic count has gone down quite a bit (~90%), as you would imagine. For map making duties, I focus on minor updates to the same products on a monthly basis, following the cycle for aeronautical product updates. Sometimes I get asked to produce a custom map, and that's what is most challenging, and also most rewarding. I feel like calling myself a cartographer at this point is valid from an FAA perspective, because I can successfully update our charts, but in this community, I hold the term in a bit more honor, and calling myself a cartographer is a stretch. I'm excited to be part of the GeoNet community. My wife and I like to hike and read and grow, we do so with four little ones who are super precious right now! Life is like cheesecake - delicious, but I can only take so much!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi @KyleSwanson Welcome to the community. We just launched a new update to the community. Hope you have had a chance to explore it.  Here are a few places that might be of interest to you: 

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Aviation 

Cheers, Michelle

Cheers, Michelle

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
0 Kudos
KyleSwanson
New Contributor II
Thanks Michelle. Appreciate you reaching out. I haven't made much time to be a part of the esri geonet community but I want to. I'll check out the aviation section, as that's what I work in. Thanks.