Hello, My name is Taran Hunter!

07-14-2020 10:24 AM
TaranisHunter
New Contributor II

I am a recent graduate of UC Santa Cruz. I majored in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Minored in Computer Science, and took a couple classes on GIS that were not included in either department. I am super excited to be learning to optimize my own ArcGIS process, taking advantage of the online environment, ArcGIS and Jupyter Notebooks. As a new member of this community I would love to hear more about what everybody has to say on making the most of the software, good places to start testing out GIS from a conservation standpoint, and how to optomize your file systems and work flow.

Im excited to be part of this community, and I look forward to connecting with you!

36.9741° N, 122.0308° W    

python notebook‌

arcgis online web app‌

thanks esri!‌

4 Replies
LNU_RochelleFrymire
New Contributor II

That is an awesome school and what a fun major! I did Environmental Biology and really enjoyed my ecology courses. Are you able to utilize your GIS for work? I am new as well, just diving in all the way!

TaranisHunter
New Contributor II

I would be confident in my ability to learn the right tools for a position given I knew the requirements, however there are so many opportunities/features in GIS pro that I have not nearly mastered any of them. Additionally I also only took classes using ArcMap, and not Arc GIS pro. Currently I am using the Learn ArcGIS Beta website and courses to refresh. Good luck with your journey!!! If you want to connect my linkedIn is linked in .

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Hi tvhunter1 , welcome to GeoNet!  I hope you find some helpful resources here. If you haven't already found some of the places that match your interests check out: ArcGIS OnlineArcGIS NotebooksPython

Cheers,

Michelle (GeoNet Community Manager)

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
TaranisHunter
New Contributor II

Thanks so much Michellle! I appreciate your support, I will be sure to dive deeper into these areas!

Best,

Taran