What is the best method for exporting a large basemap without having loss of quality?

05-16-2016 12:45 PM
KirstynAlex
New Contributor II

I'm trying to export an ArcGIS online basemap (this one: http://imagery.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services/LandsatGLS/LandsatShadedBasemap/ImageServer) and I'm out of ideas for how to get a good image for printing. It's a large size that I'm printing at (18in x 34in). The basemap looks great in ArcMap (around a scale of 1:1,045,545), but I can't get an export to look good. I've tried different compression types, DPI's, file export types, and they all turn out the same (see attached images -- the nice one is a screenshot of ArcMap, the bad one is my export result). I've done so much research and tried everything I've found, but I just can't get this to work. Please let me know if you have any ideas, or if you are able to get this basemap export to work yourself! I'd be so appreciative!

I'm using ArcMap 10.2.2.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

pixelation or rasterization comes up frequently in ArcMap, many topics are content specific, but the frequency of their appearance has decrease with increasing arcmap version numbers.  So what version of arcmap and have you tried Pro? But in any event, the help topics, that you have probably already seen does have some tips.

Exporting your map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop