Walking Distance from and to a point

04-24-2015 11:59 AM
MelissaJohnson
Occasional Contributor II

Looking for ideas on how to go about creating a map (and/or app) where I could put in specific point locations (or could possibly use the locate me function on a device as the starting point), then find all potential routes for a given distance round trip.  For example, we want to start a fitness program, so I would like to have our buildings as input, and say a 1 mile round trip goal and show all of the different walking routes that are 1 mile.  It sounds like something Network Analyst should be able to do but I can't wrap my head around how to make it work the way I describe.  The plus of using Network Analyst for this would be the ability to use barriers to block unsafe routes that were identified.  Suggestions are appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Network analyst isn't good at doing prescribed distances.  It is optimized to find shortest routes etc.  You could however delineate a service area of half your desired distance, then find the intersection with the network itself.  This would at least give you route(s) that would denote places you could run to, then back giving your cumulative distance (aka ... a pretty boring run).  Perhaps you could give a rethink as to the criteria that would be useful to delineate routes that simply aren't retraced.

0 Kudos