Select to view content in your preferred language

Visualizing Route Maps

Jump to solution
07-07-2016 03:28 AM
LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

Hi, I'm tring to make a transit map using arcgis desktop.

However, I have troubles with the map visualization. How to separate the two trips overlap on the same street? I'm tring to use the representation with move effect, but the results show that the direction of the move affects entire feature. My expectation is the two or more trip collineation display separately.

The attachment is the original shapefile.

7-7-2016 5-57-17 PM.png

7-7-2016 6-20-42 PM.png

7-7-2016 6-25-39 PM.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TedKowal
Honored Contributor

I do not know what version arcmap you have so I am sending a  descriptive picture that encapsulates what I did .... If this is what you were after.

Offset Symbol.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies
TedKowal
Honored Contributor

I do not know what version arcmap you have so I am sending a  descriptive picture that encapsulates what I did .... If this is what you were after.

Offset Symbol.png

LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Ted. That's what really I want.

0 Kudos
LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

The attachment has been updated, and the L620 issue is followed. Thanks!

0 Kudos
LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

I use the method on another trip, it shows that the offset is affect on entire feature.  Thus, the endpoint of two route doesn't connect.  How to solve it?

P.S. the version of ArcGIS Desktop is 10.4

L620.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are those locations terminal points where the routes switch around?  You could use a point to represent those locations and symbolize accordingly to mask the apparent offset

LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your advice, I'm trying to do so.

0 Kudos
LeoDeng
Frequent Contributor

It seems much better! 

L620WithEndPoints.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

nice!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you find you will be doing many route maps, an advanced technique you might want to consider is employing Representations.  By using Representations, you have more cartographic control on the display of the data.  For example, one can offset overlapping lines so they are side-by-side.  Even better, unlike some other techniques to visualize data, Representations do not affect the underlying data, just the display of it.  However, it is not totally without drawbacks.   A big drawback is the time spent learning how to do Representations and then setting up the Representation symbology.  If you find you will be revising the same data many times, it can be well worth the investment.

What are representations?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Chris Donohue, GISP