Select to view content in your preferred language

USA base maps

Jump to solution
11-27-2016 06:01 PM
ErnestDunwoody
New Contributor III

Where can you get templates for USA base maps for use as a background layer?

Default USA templates when loading Arc Map don't have editable layers so these are not useful.

I would like to find a source of USA base maps with editable layers.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Edi,

I am glad to hear you found a solution. Please be sure to mark the thread response as correct so the thread can be closed out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ernest,

What kind of information are you looking to edit? Basemaps in general do not allow you to edit. They're mostly used as a reference to support your GIS data (they mainly sit in the background). Can you explain more on what you are looking to do?

0 Kudos
ErnestDunwoody
New Contributor III

Thank you for responding Adrian,

I thought the ArcGIS template outlines of the USA would suit. Tried to edit the layers to meet needs. Found they can't be edited, at least when they are in subgroups. Ungrouped them and they could be edited normally.

I guess my term Base Map should have been Background Map. Their purpose is to tell a graphic story for an author who has written a book on Burt Reynolds film making career. His book analyses many aspects of Burt Reynolds life and relates it to US demography of the period. And yes we are both in Australia doing it, but the author is Yank who likes living down under.

Edi

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Just like Adrian says, basemaps are just that, basemaps or background maps. Why would you want to "edit" any of it.

If i get you correctly, you can certainly create new data to highlight or emphasise some region on the basemap. But its not part of the basemap, it's your data displayed on top.

0 Kudos
ErnestDunwoody
New Contributor III

Thank you Neil,

The reason I wanted to edit base maps was that none that I could find met my needs, and I guess I was looking for a short cut. Turned out to be easier and quicker to start with data from scratch as per my recent response.

Thank you.

Edi

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Edi,

I am glad to hear you found a solution. Please be sure to mark the thread response as correct so the thread can be closed out.

0 Kudos