Select to view content in your preferred language

Schematic for a Bus route

08-30-2010 01:36 PM
MarkCoetzee
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am having two problems, I am trying to create a map for a bus route but
1. The routes are not smooth they converge on a node
2. The line is sometime not in the same place once it leaves a node. For example it is at the top, then once it leaves the node it is at the bottom.

How can I get this to look smooth for a bus timetable?

Any help would be very much appreciated
Mark
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Mark,

Is your base data in a geometric network or a network dataset?  Also, what version are you using?  It looks like a geometric network probably.  Using a network dataset would allow those joining nodes to all be duplicated (i.e. each route has its own junction).  Then instead of using the Separate Overlapping Links, you would use our Partial Overlapping Links algorithm (POLA).  Separate overlapping links only deals with that particular link and doesn't have knowledge of what came before or after.  That is why you sometimes see that a route that was on the bottom of one segment ends up on the top in another segment.  Again, that would be different using the network dataset and POLA.

Rick
0 Kudos
MarkCoetzee
New Contributor II
Thanks Nick

I am using a Geometric Network and ArcGIS 9.3.1. I will give that a try.
0 Kudos
YazanAbu-Meshrif
New Contributor

Hello Mark,

Could you tell how I can build schematics diagram like your diagram, I'm new with ArcGIS.

So my problem is I have buses network in this network there's many buses have the same road;

The  buses track on the top of the other.

I need to separate them into many line each line beside the other.

Regards,

Yazan Mohammad

0 Kudos