Rotate Marker Text Background with Data Frame rotated

08-22-2012 12:50 AM
JanKoopmann
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to rotate Marker Text Background in my rotated Data Frame and do not have a clou of how to do that.
I can rotate each Layer in my Marker Text Background Symbol Properties, that will work.
I have checked in the Advanced ArcMap Setup, but settings there only respond to the label-text itself, not for its Marker Text Background Symbol.
Since it is a big map with many different labelclasses I would appreciate to just mark a setting I haven´t found yet over to edit each layer in every labelclass.
I am trying to mainly label points with the option centered using ArcMap 10.0 with Maplex.

This is probably and hopefully known and easy to solve but I cannot figure it out.

Thank you,

Jan!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III
Heya,

The "Rotate point and polygon labels when data frame is rotated" option in the Maplex global options (accessed from the labeling toolbar) should control this affect. Could you provide screenshots of your data?

Sam
Esri
0 Kudos
JanKoopmann
New Contributor
Hey,

thank you for answering.
I still have not found a solution...

I will post two screenshots.
In the first one "Rotate point and polygon labels..." is turned off, in the second one it is turned on.

The Marker Text Background (the one not rotating as wished) is indicated by the purple and black squares taken from the ESRI Default Marker font.

Hopefully this clears the problem a little more...

Greetings,
Jan!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17404[/ATTACH]
"Rotate point and polygon labels..." not marked

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17405[/ATTACH]
"Rotate point and polygon labels..." marked active
0 Kudos
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Jan,

I have seen this issue before, but only for curved text. You say these are point labels - do you have graticule alignment turned on? If you change the placement to straight text, the callout boxes should line up.
0 Kudos
JanKoopmann
New Contributor
Hello,

your hint did not lead to a solution.
But I think the problem occurs to displaying "Character Marker Symbols" in general.
If I select any font to display either as a symbol for point featureclasses or as text background for a label, it is rotated with the dataframe.
So I do not know but is there something in the options I am missing?
Setting the Marker symbol rotation in Advanced ArcMap Settings' Dataframe-Tab works fine - but not for "Character Marker Symbols".

I will be working with "Simple Marker Symbols" as background for my labels for now.
This works fine, although I have to change every template-label we have made in years...
-> This was obviously not a problem in previous ArcGIS-versions.

Greetings,

Jan!
0 Kudos
JanKoopmann
New Contributor
Hello!

Getting the latest service pack for ArcGIS 10 should solve the problem.

"NIM074169 - "Rotate marker symbols with data frame" box in ArcMap Advanced Settings does not work in 10.0 SP3. The marker symbols always rotate even when not selected."

http://gisupdates.esri.com/10sp5/ArcGIS/ArcGIS10sp5-issues.htm#Issues-sp3

Greetings,

Jan!
0 Kudos