Select to view content in your preferred language

Representation VS Layer File

Jump to solution
08-27-2012 12:59 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I was playing around with the symbology and labels for our County Roads and wanted to save the display settings as a representation and some weird things started to happen.  The first screenshot is the Roads FC before converting to representation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17271[/ATTACH]

So Far so good, it gets converted to representation fine.  However, when I pull in the Roads FC with the updated representation it looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17272[/ATTACH]

I do not know why some of the city roads are showing up as red like the state highways.  Some of the roads are state and city highways but the way I have the symbology set up, they are symbolized and labeled by the appropriate fields for the appropriate scales.  Also, I saved the Roads FC as a layer file and the layer file looks exactly like the first screenshot with no problems.  Does anyone know why the representation does not work the same way? 

Caleb
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
I was playing around with the symbology and labels for our County Roads and wanted to save the display settings as a representation and some weird things started to happen.  The first screenshot is the Roads FC before converting to representation.

So Far so good, it gets converted to representation fine.  However, when I pull in the Roads FC with the updated representation it looks like this:

I do not know why some of the city roads are showing up as red like the state highways.  Some of the roads are state and city highways but the way I have the symbology set up, they are symbolized and labeled by the appropriate fields for the appropriate scales.  Also, I saved the Roads FC as a layer file and the layer file looks exactly like the first screenshot with no problems.  Does anyone know why the representation does not work the same way? 

Caleb

Hi Caleb.

I suggest you check if your city roads have their correct Rule ID Field in the attribute table, because you can have those red lines because of one of two reasons:
a. The feature's RuleID doesn't have a RuleID assigned and it displays as a NoRule Representation.
b. The feature's RuleID it's the same as your highways and it's representation is the same.

Remember that using representations use the RuleID as the field that assign the symbol.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor

Caleb

Hi Caleb.

I suggest you check if your city roads have their correct Rule ID Field in the attribute table, because you can have those red lines because of one of two reasons:
a. The feature's RuleID doesn't have a RuleID assigned and it displays as a NoRule Representation.
b. The feature's RuleID it's the same as your highways and it's representation is the same.

Remember that using representations use the RuleID as the field that assign the symbol.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Caleb1987

Leonardo,

Thanks for the reply.  Your suggestions helped me find the problem.  It turns out that everything was fine in the representation file and I had just forgotten that I had all the allies not symbolized in the original file due to a definition query.  I guess I should have checked that first! 

Caleb
0 Kudos