Select to view content in your preferred language

"the feature could not be created. the geometry is invalid"

03-05-2015 06:49 AM
JulianeKrenz
New Contributor

I would like to create some polygons in a shapefile, that are based on some point data in a different shapefile. As usual I created a new shapefile in ArcCatalog choosing "Polygon" as a feature type, started the Editor-session in ArcMap choose my polygon shapefile and wanted to draw some polygons using the snapping tool to base the shape of my polygons on some point data. However, I everytime I try to create a polygon or a rectangle I get the error message: "the feature could not be created. the geometry is invalid" If I create a circle it works, but I do not need circles.

I restarted my computer, re-opened the program and the project as well, but it never works when I have both shapefiles in the same project. Yes, I have checked if I chose the polygon shapefile as editing layer as well.

When I open a blank map and add only the polygon shapefile, I can edit it and draw polygons without any problems. But when I add the point shapefile I cannot create polygons anymore in the polygon shapefile.

Does anybody has an idea, how to solve that problem?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

I would export that data into a geodatabase and try again. Typically is seems that when there is a geometry error it has something to do with the spatial data linked to each feature. there may be something there. Also the Data Reviewer extension works awesome for fixing that kind of stuff.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If Hillary's suggestion does not work, try creating or re-creating the spatial index of both files (ArcCatalog->Feature Class Properties->Indexes tab). This fixes all kinds of inexplicable geometry problems.

0 Kudos
JulianeKrenz
New Contributor

I tried both suggestions (exporting to geodatabase and creating & re-creating spatial indexes) but nothing has changed.

0 Kudos
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

I would open the geodatabase and look at the feature and its shape table. make sure both have the same number of counts. if not, make a copy of the database for backup if you need, do a mismatched query on id find ones that do not match and delete. Try to edit again in the map. if it still doesn't work add xy fields and populate coordinates export to table. Reimport xy table and reexport to new geodatabase.

But before all of that. Make sure you create features template is set up correctly. That may be the problem too.

Good luck invalid geometry is tough.

0 Kudos
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

BTW I generally do not like to delete or change features at database level. but sometimes you have to when invalid geometry is created. either way if it works I would create a new geodatabase to house the fixed data.

0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II

I've had the same problem.

Turned out to be a legacy .mxd file from previous arcgis versions.

all I had to do was add the offending feature class to a new map. et voilà it works!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This issue related to shapefile and you need to rectify some samll polygon error.

Please use FGD to edit or modification data locally.

What is a file geodatabase?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Create a file geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
HillaryBjorstrom
Occasional Contributor

i found that running repair geometry tool from ArcCatelog worked to fix this. The tool ran from ArcCatelog seemed to work better. Plus i was able to review the result.

0 Kudos