Projection error when merging two layers

07-23-2014 04:17 PM
HarlanVitoff
New Contributor

I have two layers, one with 9 data points and one with 185 data points, that I projected using GCS_NORTH_AMERICAN_1983_HARN in ArcCatalog.  When I merge them together the layer that has the 9 data points data points that will not show up with the other data points.  I have to zoom out to 1:5,500,000 in order to see them.  Why is this happening and how do I correct it so that all my data points show up together?

5 Replies
ChristianWells
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Harlan,

I just had some quick questions about this:

What is the current projection of each layer?

Which tool did you use to do the projection to NAD 1983 HARN?

0 Kudos
GordonChinander__GISP
New Contributor II

When you say that you have to zoom out so far to see the 9 points...where do the 9 points show up when zoomed out so far?   are they displaying among the 185 points but dont physically appear until you zoom out   or is it because the 9 points are so far out of the data frame of the 185 points that you need to zoom out?

0 Kudos
HarlanVitoff
New Contributor

Only the 9 points are out of view of the map.  The other 185 points remain in the same spots. 

0 Kudos
GordonChinander__GISP
New Contributor II

Have you checked to see the layer properties of the 9 data points?   I am thinking that the scale range is turned on to not display those 9 points until you're out at a certain scale

0 Kudos
GordonChinander__GISP
New Contributor II

Do you know what the original projection was of 9 point dataset?   If you do I suggest you take the 9 point dataset and run a “define Projection” and enter the original correct projection and then run the Project tool to get it into the projection you want

Gordy

0 Kudos