Not repeating labels on horseshoe-shaped polygon beyond part that goes "off-screen"

Jump to solution
03-19-2012 09:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: DeSchlong

Here is an annoying example of where Maplex fails.  What's the problem and solution?

First example is an extreme example but I am just trying to make a point:  Label repeating is set to every 2000 metres.  Note how the labels loop around the bottom of the peninsula and over to the other side.

When I move the view further north and the peninsula divides the waterbody essentially in two on-screen, this is the time when I would *naturally* want to indicate to the viewer that this is the same waterbody on both sides.  But instead, here we see that one whole half is *no longer labelled*!!  Why don't I continue to have labels repeated on both sides of the polygon at every 2000 metres!  This doesn't make sense logically, nor from a cartographic standpoint!  Can it be fixed?  I haven't changed ANY Maplex settings.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Eric,

I think what is happening here is that when you change the extent, the peninsula reaches the bottom border and cuts the hydro polygon into two - see  simplified example below.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13205[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13206[/ATTACH]

In the image on the left, there is some space below the peninsula, so Maplex only sees one blue polygon and labels the whole thing. In the image on the right, the peninsula cuts the polygon into two. Have you got Label Largest Only checked on? If you uncheck it, then both polygons should be labelled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonMorris
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Eric,

I think what is happening here is that when you change the extent, the peninsula reaches the bottom border and cuts the hydro polygon into two - see  simplified example below.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13205[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13206[/ATTACH]

In the image on the left, there is some space below the peninsula, so Maplex only sees one blue polygon and labels the whole thing. In the image on the right, the peninsula cuts the polygon into two. Have you got Label Largest Only checked on? If you uncheck it, then both polygons should be labelled.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: DeSchlong

Yay, that did it!  Yes, seems like Maplex is treating a single polygon divided on-screen into two, as two separate polygons.  Not sure if this is the best way for it to work? But at least we have a workaround.  Many thanks.
0 Kudos