Missing UTM Grid Numbers Near Equator

08-24-2011 03:07 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 4Peco

The UTM latitude grid numbers up to 10,000 Meters do not show up when I run Map Production System>>Edit Map Sheet.  Is there a way to change a setting, so they show up?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Laura,

Can you please confirm the following:

1. What version of ArcGIS Desktop and PLTS/Production Mapping you are using?
2. How did you created the grid?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 4Peco

I used Arc 9.3.  I select the PLTS tab at the top, then I select 'Map Production Systems' from that drop down and over to 'Edit Map Sheet...'   The 'Create Map Sheet' text box comes up and I select my series Name and Mapsheet and then I 'Edit'.  Another 'Add Data' box pops up and I choose 'Add Data' and browse to my area of interest.  I select OK and it says 'Initializing...' and voila!  A map with a grid!
0 Kudos
JasonWatkins1
New Contributor
I am using 9.3 as well and this also appears to be the case when creating a MGRS grid using the Grids tab under the Data Frame Properties. If you are working with data less than 10000 meters from the UTM 0 northing (the equator) than the northing grid labels do not appear. The easting labels appear as usual.

If I go into the Grids tab, Label tab, hit the Additional Properties button, and then the Principal Digits button I can change the settings to make 1 digit of the northing label to appear. For example, if I'm at the 1000 m gridline I can change the number of principal digits to 1 and and the number of base digits to 3 then a '1' will appear as the label. There a couple problems with this. The first is that this approach changes the easting to show 3 digits (the first two being superscript). If that was the only issue I could make a 2nd grid to label the northings. However, my product's specifications requires 2 digits for the grid labels. I need to northing label to read '01'.  Since in the coordinate system there is no 0 before the 1000 meters this doesn't seem possible using this method to create grids. However, I need my grid to be dynamic so as far as I'm aware this is my only option.

Any thoughts about this situation? Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
0 Kudos